Railroad Forums 

• Detroit / DT&I concrete arch supports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#859136  by judgesmails

Hi-

I'm planning a trip to Detroit, and I would like to photograph some trains passing beneath the old DT&I electrical supports. Are these lines still used with any regularity, and if so, can anyone recommend a good spot to take some photos? I'll be staying near the airport, and I see that the line passes through Allen Park, which appears to be just east of the airport.

Thanks for any reccomendations!

Trey
 #860392  by jimnorthwood

My office is located approx one mile east of the former DT&I track. If you are staying at the airport I suspect your hotel will be located on either Middlebelt or Merriman Roads. Either way, travel south on one of them until you get to Northline Road. Turn left (east). Drive east on Northline for about six miles and you will cross the former DT&I. The arches are visible here. Just to the south of the Northline Road grade crossing is Pennford, where the ex-Pennsy (now CSX) line to Detroit crosses the former DT&I at grade.
 #860425  by judgesmails

Jimnorthwood - thanks very much for the advice!

There seem to be differing opinions on whether or not this line is actually used for anything beyond car storage. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!
 #860625  by jimnorthwood

The major customer on this ex-DT&I line is the Ford Rouge complex, which produces the F-150 pickup truck. I'm not sure how many trains per day use this track, but it does get daily service. Many people who work in my office have to cross this track to get to work, and I receive my fair share of "I'm going to be late on account this train is moving so slowly" cell phone calls some mornings. Traffic is what you would expect, ie truck frames in and finished pickup trucks out. A coke train also uses this track to deliver to the Ford Rouge complex, but I'm not sure how frequently that train runs. Probably not more than once or twice per week. I used to see it with an interesting variety of often very old Wheeling and Lake Erie cars. There are some residential neighborhoods adjacent to this track off the aforementioned Northline Road in what is the city of Taylor. You could park there and walk to the track and nobody would bother you. The right of way is very wide on account this line was intended to be all double track. Sorry I can't provide you with a schedule as to when you might see a movement on this line. It isn't terribly busy but it definitely sees daily use.