Railroad Forums 

• Delaware River Railroad Excursions Zoning Violations???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1336049  by CGRLCDR

I just saw this on Facebook. Does anyone know about this? Is this a serious threat to Delaware River Railroad Excursions? It sounds like a couple of disgruntled NIMBYs.

The train for the Delaware River Railroad Excursions can be described as a “living museum”, where tourists can purchase tickets to ride the train from Phillipsburg 10 miles along the Delaware River, but it's allegedly a zoning violation.

http://www.my9nj.com/story/29298467/rai ... s-shutdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1336211  by CLamb

The article isn't clear. "The lot in question is for farming, quarry operations, and adult entertainment." Does this statement refer to the existing use of the lot or what it is zoned for?
 #1336212  by CLamb

CLamb wrote:The article isn't clear. "The lot in question is for farming, quarry operations, and adult entertainment." Does this statement refer to the existing use of the lot or what it is zoned for?
OK, the video makes it clear. The statement refers to the zoning. So, the township doesn't want a non-conforming use? Great! It would be a great location to host the next New Jersey Burlesque Festival http://www.njburlesquefestival.com/#main
 #1338075  by CLamb

It looks like the Snyder Farm is becoming even more popular which means more publicity for the railroad. The following is from the Archaeological Society of New Jersey mailing list.

> Hi All--
>
> After much success during our spring session at the Snyder Site Complex, we will be continuing our fieldwork throughout the rest of the summer and into the fall. This could not be possible without the hard work of many volunteers, the Snyder Family and the Delaware River Railroad Excursions – thank you!
>
> These next few months will be very exciting! We have several weekends that are tied into events with the Delaware River Railroad Excursions (Thomas the Train/Winery Train/Corn Maze) and a Native Youth Camp visit by the Mohican-Munsee-Delaware tribes. This will be an excellent opportunity to interact with a variety of groups.
>
> And as some of you know, our unit/block excavations revealed the stratified Paleoindian deposits to go along with the 30+ fluted bifaces that have been found on the surface over the last few decades. Our last/current small block produced one fluted point, two endscrapers, several flaked stone tools and debitage. This weekend we will be continuing that block.
>
> Below is the schedule for fieldwork at the Snyder Site Complex for July. I’ve also attached a flyer that had been floating around previously – it’s updated. From this Sunday and into the following weekend, I’ll be back in Austin, TX – so no fieldwork.
>
> Fieldwork Schedule:
>
> Friday, July 3rd
>
> Saturday, July 4th: All-Day Cookout and Celebration!
>
>
>
> (Thomas the Train Weekend)
>
> Friday, July 17th
>
> Saturday, July 18th
>
> Sunday, July 19th
>
>
>
> (Native Youth Camp Weekend – TBD)
>
> Friday, July 24th
>
> Saturday, July 25th
>
> Sunday, July 26th
>
>
> Friday, July 31st
>
> Saturday, August 1st
>
> Sunday, August 2nd
>
> Feel free to forward the flyer to listservs or anyone who may be interested. Fridays are added in this email but not to the flyer as it is being used as a flex/rain day and for particular site visits. Contact me for more detail. Thanks!
>
> Jen
>

Link to flier:
https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/468696/hr ... 282%29.jpg
 #1338110  by trackwelder

everyone who's been there ought to fire off an email letting mr. mayor know just how much tourist money gets spent in his town evry time someone comes to take a ride. i just sent mine.
 #1338606  by umtrr-author

I got an earful over the weekend from my brother, who lives in the area, about the "interesting" goings on in that section of the Garden State and that area's, ahem, policies.

Unfortunately, I would violate multiple sections of the Terms of Use were I to be more specific. Suffice to say that this episode doesn't surprise me any more.
 #1338685  by Sir Ray

umtrr-author wrote:Unfortunately, I would violate multiple sections of the Terms of Use were I to be more specific.
Why would you be violating anything posting such info?
Have we all forgotten - "In Jersey anything's legal, as long as you don't get caught" :-D
 #1338913  by umtrr-author

Ah, another Traveling Wilburys fan I see... (cf "Tweeter and the Monkey Man").

The details I got weren't really railroad related, and are sufficiently of forbidden topics that I would probably get banned three or four times from just one post. :)
 #1338928  by trackwelder

umtrr-author wrote:Ah, another Traveling Wilburys fan I see... (cf "Tweeter and the Monkey Man").

The details I got weren't really railroad related, and are sufficiently of forbidden topics that I would probably get banned three or four times from just one post. :)
maaaan, you can't say things like that and just leave everybody hangin', that's just mean!
 #1339054  by CNJ Fan 4evr

It is a complaint from a person living near the railroad that is not happy about the whistle,people walking to the farm,etc.that got this started. Just your typical New Jersey NIMBY trying to spoil everyone else's good time. RULE ONE: If you live near railroad tracks you may see and HEAR a train. If you are not happy with that, DO NOT buy a home near a railroad track.Same goes for race tracks, sports stadiums, factories, farms, etc. The mayor is young guy in his 20's. I do not know about their council though. Like many towns/townships, most have only lived in the area a short time and nobody knows them BUT vote for them anyway.
 #1339191  by litz

NIMBY's are always fun ...

I used to live in Marietta, GA ... right next to the CSX W&A sub.

These tracks predate the civil war ... and are, in fact, where the Great Locomotive Chase occurred upon during said conflict.

Yet, people consistently try and get the railroad shut down due to noise complaints.
 #1339441  by Ken W2KB

The railroad is trying to be a good neighbor, and especially so with regard to whistle use. From the recent System Bulletin Orders, in pertinent part:

"12. LOCOMOTIVE WHISTLE WARREN COUNTY
(Amplifies Timetable 4 Special Instruction 17 and General Order 402R Instruction 17-R )
In Warren County, locomotive whistle or horn shall only be sounded when absolutely required.
Between Lehigh Jct 50.6 and Hunterdon County Line, Musconetcong River Bridge 41.80, locomotive whistle or horn shall only be sounded approaching grade crossings, approaching MW workers or other persons on tracks, minimally to signal Station stops, and in Emergencies."