• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by AceMacSD

RustyRail5634 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:40 am Is this a joke? As far as I or anyone else with eyes can tell, there is barely enough storage room in Jamesburg as it is, so I'd like to see this "extra space" you speak of.
No joke. Who said the only place to leave cars on this railroad's in Jamesburg? There's a lot in the works. You'll start to see them coming soon.
  by baju

I have a picture of a daily local freight from the early 1900 or late 1800s parked in jamesburg. It’s a long freight. I can’t tell how many cars but longer than todays trains. I wonder where they assembled those trains back then Browns? I wonder if there was a small yard between the wye years ago. I remember riding the doodlebug back from Trenton in the mid 1950s. I was seated on the left side going forward. As we passed through the wye there was an interlocking tower to my left. I remember seeing the guys in the tower waving to us as we passed. I faintly remember multiple tracks at that point. Was this a small yard? I have a picture of the interlocking tower also.
  by CharlieL

Baju, a 1953 USGS map shows there were as many as 4 tracks from approximately St. James cemetery to the southern corner of the wye, plenty of room for car storage. Looks almost like a yard which makes sense as route through Hightstown was double-tracked and still active and route to both Monmouth Junction and Browns was double-tracked and active. Earlier and later maps do not show this.

In other news, they have taken out most of the dip in the tracks immediately south (east) of Adelphia Rd. A little bit left. The track Adelphia - Southard is looking good. Still have quite a ways to go Yellowbrook - Fairfield Rds as far as ties and rail go. That section must have been even worse than I thought.
  by Bracdude181

I was able to get pictures but my phone has been having memory issues for quite some time, so I had to take them with a camcorder I borrowed from a pal of mine. It records on an SD card so now I gotta figure out how to get them on here.
  by Bracdude181

SA31 didn’t run today and I don’t see the point of running to Woodhaven just to take out some empties, so most likely not.
  by CharlieL

They got the remaining dip out of the track at Adelphia Rd.

Still working Yellowbrook - Fairfield. Progress not visible from the road, but I'm sure they're getting it done. Track, all that they've finished looks really good, looks smooth enough for passenger service. And no, I'm not implying anything other than it looks really good.
  by Bracdude181

Just got told that SA31 went to Dayton. Provided that’s true it means either someone else will bring the train to Red Bank (PR-21?) or they’ll just bring everything Thursday
  by CR7876

That's the best part about using non union labor. Monday and Tuesday off and you don't have to pay them for it.
  by JohnFromJersey

Passed by the wye again last night. Looks like they are clearing and grading a fair amount towards Railroad Ave
  by RFRailFan

Nothing to do with DRRR, but I caught a Wisconsin & Southern freight right in front of my hotel over the weekend while in Madison. Thought I'd share with this group. Pretty cool livery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by CharlieL

Looks like the track is now connected all the way through. They tied into the Fairfield Rd crossing some time this morning. Now for ballast, alignment, ballast, rinse and repeat.

In Farmingdale they have put a bunch of rock (not ballast) down, about 50 ft in from Railroad ave extending west (north) where the roadbed for the southern branch of the wye would go. It looked rather swampy there. Next to the stub track leading that way is a bunch of wooden ties.