• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

Curious on what the situation will be for parking cars. Can the current wye in Jamesburg handle the traffic that is predicted once this project is finished?
  by AWSmith

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:41 pm Curious on what the situation will be for parking cars. Can the current wye in Jamesburg handle the traffic that is predicted once this project is finished?
I measured 1600 track feet of both legs on google maps in jamesburg allowing for #1888 to park.
  by AWSmith

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm But then what amount of cars on top of that? And what if they pair it up with 752?

I think it was monday or tuesday late morning I was driving through Jamesburg via Lincoln and Gatzmer avoiding all the construction on Cranbury road and saw a center beam and covered hopper parked by the hotdog stand on west railroad, No #1888 in sight. As far as 752, Has it moved from freehold since the traction motors were replaced?
  by Bracdude181

752 wasn’t the one that blew a traction motor, the 2005 was and ever since it’s been fixed it’s hardly run at all. If it was Monday then 1888 was out on JB-1 working and those cars were probably outbound for Conrail to pick up on Wednesday.

Speaking of things hardly being used, what’s the deal with the BDRV caboose they were using for shoving moves from Prestone? Hasn’t been used lately at all and I think it’s still sitting on the boxcar siding in builders general…
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:41 pm Curious on what the situation will be for parking cars. Can the current wye in Jamesburg handle the traffic that is predicted once this project is finished?
The railroad will be able to handle any additional traffic. There'll be plenty of room for car storage as well.
  by Bracdude181

Train had to be split in half at Second Street in Lakewood due to the engine stalling. Weird it would stall there where the track is mostly flat…
  by Bracdude181

Actually scratch that. They left it there on purpose. Apparently they have to do it this way to make the Woodhaven work easier.

My bad.
  by Bracdude181

Picking up the other cut of cars from 4th street. They put fuel in the engine while they were at Woodhaven.
  by RustyRail5634

AceMacSD wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:43 am
The railroad will be able to handle any additional traffic. There'll be plenty of room for car storage as well.
Is this a joke? As far as I or anyone else with eyes can tell, there is barely enough storage room in Jamesburg as it is, so I'd like to see this "extra space" you speak of.
  by Bracdude181

Largest train through Jamesburg under C&D to my knowledge was the 14 car train they saw last summer. In that case all 14 cars fit along with 1888 but it was a very tight squeeze. You wouldn’t be able to fit anything more than that on both wye legs.
  by Bracdude181

Northbound at DCS LAKEWOOD 1:05 PM

Lots of people walking down the tracks while the train is coming today