Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1622214  by pdtrains

I wouldnt hold my breath for an intermodal facility, about te nly place I can think f where u cud d that wuld be on old military land in Lakehurst. And there would ave to be a dedicated train...not a resort from OI.

A transload, OTOH, might be a possibility for fertilizer, if there is any ag left in central NJ. Consignees can use the freight car as a short term storage facility, and take truckloads out as they need it.
 #1622256  by JohnFromJersey

With all due respect, I am not the one coming up with the idea of building intermodal facilities in the Central and Southern regions of NJ, the state (and I assume their private enterprise partners) are coming up with it.

Also, I am kind of using intermodal and transloading interchangeably here, to mean some sort of yard/facility that is centralized and where customers can come pick up and drop off loads from/for the railroad.

As you can see in this document, there is a lot of discussion about intermodal freight; just Control+F / search the document with the word "intermodal!" Much of it talks mostly about existing yards in Northern NJ, but a fair amount of the document (like around page 187, discussing north-south connections, specifically the "Blue Comet Route") mentions building intermodal facilities in the more southern parts of NJ.

There are not many major yards in South NJ, and if there are, they are right outside Philadelphia - a lot of industry in South Jersey is considerably further east than there. Specifically, on pages 198 and 199, there was direct mention of creating an intermodal/terminal yard in South Jersey.

This report/document was from ten years ago, but the fact that the state gave considerable money to C&D to do a lot of upgrades + projects on two lines that were considered dying just a few short years ago, has to mean something.

Not sure where they would put an intermodal/big transloading yard on the TRIT (if that is even still possible anymore), doubt Fort Dix will give up some land for a yard, especially given the military and geopolitical situation these days.
 #1622258  by Bracdude181

It’s still possible along the TRIT but if it’s ever gonna happen it needs to be done sooner rather than later. They are clearing land along the tracks for more houses or stores or whatever they are putting there.

I don’t know much about Intermodal down south but those who frequently use containers along the east side of the state (at least in Ocean County) have been getting very tired of having to drive all the way to Port Newark and having to go through absolute living hell to pick up just one container, let alone several each with its own truck.

Another thing to consider with intermodal is that most railroads don’t really consider it viable unless the trains go x amount of miles (usually 300-500 or more) and serve centralized terminals with a high throughput. Partially because the equipment needed to load/unload containers is pretty expensive. There are ways around this (https://railrunner.com) but most aren’t willing to take the risk of implementing a short haul service but most aren’t willing to take the risk. The only railroad I know of with a successful short haul intermodal service is Georgia Central. They have one tiny little terminal for marine containers that farmers fill up for export. GC brings the containers straight to the port. Only other railroad I know of wants to try it is Raritan Central, and I’m not sure if they can make the service they wanna do viable.
 #1622271  by CR2721

Bracdude181 wrote:It’s still possible along the TRIT but if it’s ever gonna happen it needs to be done sooner rather than later. They are clearing land along the tracks for more houses or stores or whatever they are putting there.

I don’t know much about Intermodal down south but those who frequently use containers along the east side of the state (at least in Ocean County) have been getting very tired of having to drive all the way to Port Newark and having to go through absolute living hell to pick up just one container, let alone several each with its own truck.

Another thing to consider with intermodal is that most railroads don’t really consider it viable unless the trains go x amount of miles (usually 300-500 or more) and serve centralized terminals with a high throughput. Partially because the equipment needed to load/unload containers is pretty expensive. There are ways around this (https://railrunner.com) but most aren’t willing to take the risk of implementing a short haul service but most aren’t willing to take the risk. The only railroad I know of with a successful short haul intermodal service is Georgia Central. They have one tiny little terminal for marine containers that farmers fill up for export. GC brings the containers straight to the port. Only other railroad I know of wants to try it is Raritan Central, and I’m not sure if they can make the service they wanna do viable.
I agree with this. It's the distance. Way too short to make it viable or profitable, at least in TODAY'S South Jersey. No private enterprise, let alone a shortline railroad operator, would build something for "possible" future growth of a region. They want profits now.

The only way I see anything like that happening is if it were some watered-down transload with cars 263k and under. And with the current business climate in NJ and the way our state government stands politically, I think this is still way too much of a stretch.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

#1622273  by Bracdude181

@CR2721 Raritan Central wants to move intermodal to the Raritan Center and Heller industrial parks between there and Port Newark by rail, a distance of about 15 miles.

Possible, but the viability is questionable. Even though the Industrial park does get marine containers, no doubt the train will be somewhat slower and that’s despite the totally insane traffic getting into the port, let alone picking up a container and getting out!

As for South Jersey they see nowhere near as much there as we do up here. At least south of Camden that is. Seems like most of it is along US 130.
 #1622274  by RFRailFan

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:40 pm In other news, here is my YouTube playlist from Tuesday 5/16/2023's chase from Farmingdale north:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNL2Y72 ... DiPZlml5c9

I have a pretty nice shot of RB-1 here.
Great videos...thanks! I guess the Dr. JP Blvd gates are not working? So, I gather RB-1 drops the empties just short of Newman Springs Rd., until SA-31 is ready to bring them back north on Thursday?
 #1622276  by Bracdude181

Yes to all the above. Dr James Parker Blvd crossing has been down for months as are several other crossings along the line. Recently a light got ripped off the west side pole and can’t be seen anywhere. Scrappers must’ve took it.
 #1622304  by pdtrains

I dont think u can put intermodal and transload in the same sentence.

Intermodal requires a decent amount of space and a lot of emphastructure and employees.

A transload is a glorified team track. Put a small i bay pit under 6 feet of track, and a conveyor to load on to trucks, and u have a transload for fertilizer. A team track and a forklift is a transload for lumber.... There's nothing to it.

Some shortlines have put in 2 tracks and a paved area between them for a transload.
 #1622382  by CR2721

CharlieL wrote:Sign at the Howell Rd. crossing: "On or about 6/5 road will be closed for RR crossing repair"

Nothing else seems to be going on in the Farmingdale area.
The plot thickens

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

#1622401  by JohnFromJersey

Very strange way of doing things here. But, C&D is using the state's money here to do very expensive things, so makes sense to hang around until that check clears.

Definitely seems like we'll be able to see DRRR trains using the FIT to reach the SOUS by July/August, which is splendid