• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:13 pm Would be surprised if any of them other than possibly the 524 crossing would have gates. I think that's a decision for the local or county municipality. Figure 2x weekly service, that's only 4x/week the crossing would have rail traffic. The only one of the crossings that has significant road traffic is 524 (Adelphia-Farmingdale rd).
I wouldn't be shocked if, over the next 1-5 years, you see daily if not more service on the SOUS. Remember, C&D is very aggressive at finding customers on their lines, and the SOUS has a lot of potential for that. If Clayton finds local customers for their sand, DRRR gets a transloading operation on the TRIT that proves to be hot with the local industries, and anyone else wants service, I could see there being some serious traffic on the FIT and SOUS that hasn't been seen in decades. If DRRR made a sizeable transloading facility that can handle multiple businesses and industries coming in and out (at that point, wouldn't it be a yard?), you could potentially see that thing get its own train at least once a day.

Even if service isn't the most frequent, say DRRR gets most of the tracks on the OOS section to Class 2 for whatever reason. That's 25 MPH, with some crews probably going over that from time to time, and with how busy these roads are and how I've seen some of the people drive, I think gates would be a good idea.

Remember, everyone in this area is used to the tracks being seldomly used; if trains one day start running 1x a day at 25 MPH, when they used to be 1x a week at <10MPH, there's going to be some issues if there are no gates. I have seen a lot of close calls myself...

In addition: across the liquor store in Farmingdale, on the ROW, there is considerable empty space next to the tracks; very often, patrons of the liquor store and Woody's will park there. It will be interesting to see how people react to the train coming more often, and how DRRR will deal with those people...
  by cjvrr

The Dover Realignment project is being brought forth to eliminate up to 13 road crossing and two large bridges over the Rockaway River. In addition the existing rail line parallels the Rockaway River in downtown Dover and has suffered damage due to flood waters.

I can tell you from personal knowledge the project has no direct or even indirect financial benefit to the Mayor of Dover.

Chris Vitz, the guy in charge of the project for Morris County
pdtrains wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:21 pm Re: Mayor of Dover.

Its more like a quality of political payoffs and grandstanding issue. I'd bet the mortgage the the mayor has some monetary interest in getting the street running removed.
  by R&DB

#1598832 by JohnFromJersey
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 pm
John,
The space next to the tracks in Farmingdale was once occupied by two additional tracks. Main - siding - TRIT curve lead which itself was doubled for a time.
  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:45 am John,
The space next to the tracks in Farmingdale was once occupied by two additional tracks. Main - siding - TRIT curve lead which itself was doubled for a time.
Yep, there were 3 tracks going through Farmingdale at one point - I believe they were all there until the late '70s/early '80s, right around when Winslow-Woodmansie was cut off and there were no thru-trains anymore. Now that is a popular parking place for people in town.

I wonder if DRRR will put sidings through Farmingdale again? From the bridge to the switch isn't a very long distance for a siding...
  by R&DB

I have no idea what their plans are but it would make sense to put a siding in Farmingdale. After all they will have customers in both directions on the SOUS. A wye would be nice too.
  by CharlieL

They could reactivate the siding, actually I think a runaround that was between Marl Rd and Squankum-Yellowbrook Rd. It was pretty long, and they just pulled one of the switches 3 or 4 years ago. Dunno how long ago the other switch was pulled.
  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:16 pm A Friday? Interesting. How come July 1st and not the preferred June 19th?
By NJ law, July 1 is the first day of fiscal year 2023, which may be the reason for funding purposes.
  by Bracdude181

@Ken W2KB Ok, but I’m wondering that means for the final SA31 on the Southern? Will that still be a Wednesday?