• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Cross Street would be an okay spot as long as they put a fence up. It’s also closer to Woodhaven, the only customer consistently getting loads every trip right now.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:39 pm Cross Street would be an okay spot as long as they put a fence up. It’s also closer to Woodhaven, the only customer consistently getting loads every trip right now.
While parking at Cross Street due to its proximity to Woodhaven would be a good idea, they still have to travel up to Red Bank to receive and drop off cars. In addition, a fence isn't going to really stop people from stealing scrap/copper, a shortline in South Jersey had their premises locked up and people still broke in.

When they pick up cars for Woodhaven from Red Bank, they have to go down to Woodhaven in Lakewood, drop those cars off, and then pick up the empties and bring them back up to Red Bank. Then, to park the engines, they would have to go back down to Lakewood! With these fuel prices, it's not very efficient. It would be better to park in Red Bank yard IMO, but I know NJT has most of the say there and might not like that. That, and Red Bank still has property crime issues.

Farmingdale is smack in the middle between Woodhaven and Red Bank IIRC, a good compromise, and is also the town where the FIT and SOUS would meet after the project is completed. In addition, if they end up establishing a small base of operations by renting out some space at Woody's, it would make sense to have the engines be quite literally across the street from it.
  by CR7876

But if they start at Cross St/Woodhaven, they would be going north with the empties. When they return south, Woodhaven is empty.

If they come south with more than 16 Woodhavens , they are in position to give them another drill later in the week. Then go North and meet SA31 in Red Bank on interchange day and do it again.
  by Bracdude181

Wait, is that what they are doing? Meeting the 31 in Red Bank whenever they exchange? Same for Freehold? Cause if so that’s actually really helpful.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:38 pmThat and almost everyone complains about Conrail North Jersey now. Even CSX!
If it is that bad, could CSX use leverage being a 42% owner on Conrail?
  by pdtrains

C&D keeps power on the WASS at their primary (biggest) customer, so they can give them a switch any day they might need it. OF course, there, the its centrally located so the crew can can run east or west on alternating days...and also the consignee is MUCH larger than woodhaven....they have 4 or 5 tracks, and cars needing to be shuffled between storage and unloading spots a lot.

Still their 1st request was to store the power ay woodhaven. The added attraction being better security inside the woodhaven gates.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:30 am @pdtrains Yeaaahhh Woodhaven probably ain’t gonna allow that.
If that's the case, build a fence around Cross Street, hire some security guards, or rebuild the siding(s) in Farmingdale so they can park across the street from where they will most likely have (radio) operations based out of.
  by Bracdude181

Just heard through one of my sources within Conrail that SA31 will run to Red Bank twice a week to exchange with C&D. Schedule will either be Monday and Wednesday or Monday and Thursday.
  by CharlieL

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 pm Just heard through one of my sources within Conrail that SA31 will run to Red Bank twice a week to exchange with C&D. Schedule will either be Monday and Wednesday or Monday and Thursday.
If true, already an improvement in service for Woodhaven, and possibly Extech and Lairds.
  by JohnFromJersey

Indeed. I wonder if they will opt to take advantage of that. I also wonder if 2x a week service instead of just 1x a week will bring any other customers back too. Brick Recycling comes to mind.

In either case, I wasn;t exactly expecting 2x a week service right off the bat
  by CharlieL

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:09 pm Indeed. I wonder if they will opt to take advantage of that. I also wonder if 2x a week service instead of just 1x a week will bring any other customers back too. Brick Recycling comes to mind.

In either case, I wasn;t exactly expecting 2x a week service right off the bat
If, as stated earlier on the southern secondary thread, Brick isn't serviced because NJT doesn't want scrap cars on it's tracks (the NJCL), then Brick won't get serviced, until at least Freehold-Farmingdale is reactivated. Presuming Brick still wants it. I have no idea how much they handle.
  by Bracdude181

Will only be an improvement if Woodhaven can get more cars per train than what they get now. Especially since they have that second track in there that they added when Conrail refused twice a week service.
  by jdh823

I HIGHLY doubt any new customers will come in right away or within the first few months.

If anything you might see increased cars going up and down but anything new would take time.