• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CR7876

Wait, are they calling the number because the crossing lights don't work, or are stuck on? Because the purpose of all this is to report when the lights are on with no train in site. Calling the number because the conductor is flagging the road isn't what it is for.

I don't work for C&D, so I really don't know what you are talking about regarding power poles. Usually, the power company puts power poles in the ground and then the line men hook the power line into the meter.
  by AWSmith

Tanker1497 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:45 am AWSmith very cool video thanks for sharing.
I should have shared Dave's entire Jackson 6700 tamper playlist. I always wondered how that light carriage way out front of the tamper helped align the track . Dave pretty much covers it all. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTyD ... TrwNTDQFmR
Last edited by AWSmith on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bracdude181

AKAIK They’ve mostly been calling about the lights not coming on. I heard that someone called in Main Street during the thing with the gates.

I will not be providing location updates directly tomorrow. If I hear anything on the scanner I’ll post it.
  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 Two months ago some idiot took out the power pole that sends power into the Central Ave crossing and ever since both those lights and Main Street have stopped working. New pole and wire are just sitting there on the ground waiting to be put up.
  by JohnFromJersey

If they are flagging the crossings with lights that don't work, I can't see why they would be doing anything wrong.

As I said before, it's highly likely they won't be focusing on the crossings/signals, replacing or repairing them or otherwise, until FIT-SOUS gets done. Makes sense to me. Until then, flagging should be sufficient.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:46 pm AKAIK They’ve mostly been calling about the lights not coming on. I heard that someone called in Main Street during the thing with the gates.

I will not be providing location updates directly tomorrow. If I hear anything on the scanner I’ll post it.
And you know these people are calling, how? Are you the one not answering the phone calls?
  by Bracdude181

I mean, people talk to me about the Southern whenever I’m in town. (And sometimes trains in general) Why would they tell me they’ve been calling the number but not actually doing so?
  by Bracdude181

Train should be at Pine Brook road shortly. Heading south with 2 cars.

Source is someone in the area I know.
  by Bracdude181

While on the way home from the Edison Train Show, I stopped and checked on the Farmingdale to Freehold progress.

Not much has changed at Howell Road.Image
At Fairfield Road however, track is being placed on the west side. Old tracks appear to still be in place on the east side.Image
So far, so good.

P.S. Edison Train Show went great. Bought some goodies. More on that in the NJ Train Shows topic.
  by pdtrains

We had a BIG display at the edison train show for about 15 years. It just became too much effort. Havent been to an east coast train show since 2015 i think.... maybe one of these years.....
  by Bracdude181

Which display was that? There was a couple MONSTER portable layouts in the back. Raritan Valley Hi-railers, Jersey Central N-Trak, and another one I forgot the name of. Also various small n scale layouts and test tracks throughout there.

In the sense of cost I can see why. Edison is pretty expensive if your talking table space.
  by Ken W2KB

CR7876 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:30 pmI don't work for C&D, so I really don't know what you are talking about regarding power poles. Usually, the power company puts power poles in the ground and then the line men hook the power line into the meter.
I have a similar question. Looking at Google Maps Street View of Central Avenue, there is a shorter length pole on which the electric meter is mounted and the service drop from the street electric utility pole is attached to the top of this short pole. If the short pole with the meter, near the relay cabinet, is the one that must be replaced, that is not the electric utility company's responsibility. The short pole is the customer's responsibility, just like the service pipe that is attached vertically up the outside wall of a house or commercial building. The house or building owner owns and is responsible for the maintenance of the pipe and wires inside the pipe to the top at the weather head where the wires come out for two feet or so. The utility only owns the meter itself and the service drop wires from the street pole to the point where those service drop wires attach to the customer's wires outside the weather head. Everything else is owned by the customer and not electric utility responsibility. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1916722 ... 312!8i6656
  by Ken W2KB

CR7876 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:39 pm
Bracdude181 wrote:Additionally, residents in Lakewood and Farmingdale (mainly Farmingdale) have been attempting to raise their concerns with the crossings by calling the number on the blue signs, but the phone always goes to voicemail. They’ve been calling the state about it too, to no avail.
The State has no jurisdiction.
"As required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), each highway-railroad crossing is inspected for safety every three years. The New Jersey Department of Transportation's (NJDOT) Bureau of Railroad Engineering Services conducts the inspection for 1,529 public highway-railroad grade crossings in New Jersey. The safety rating is based on several safety aspects including surface condition, sight distance, alignment and the type and condition of the warning devices. The highway-railroad crossings are upgraded in priority order by the owner of the railroad in coordination with the NJDOT, utilizing FHWA funds." https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/ ... hrgcp.shtm