Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1618113  by JohnFromJersey

Same guy who claimed HTPD told him this project will be done by June posted this on the same thread,
Work is proceeding steadily on reactivating the embargoed line from Freehold Road (Okerson Rd south of the Prestone plant) down to existing trackage in Farmingdale on Railroad Ave. I've been photographing the entire process (WITHOUT trespassing on any railroad ROW), and it's fascinating to see an old, decrepit rail line brought back to life. According to the RR construction crew, two companies have the contract for the reconstruction, and a third will be rebuilding the grade crossings with signage and gates. The crews are next (weather dependent) going to rip up the old track south from Fairfield Road to Yellow Brook Rd, grade the ROW, and lay the track. There are already stacks of new rail and some sort of stacked cast metal ties at the point on Railroad Ave in Farmingdale where the embargoed line meets the existing active line running thru Farmingdale. It's REALLY tough to tell from Google satellite maps if there was a Y in Farmingdale at one point. In addition to the old line forking north to the right of Farmingdale Recycling, the old ROW crossed Southard Ave in Farmingdale, but now butt ends up against a fluorescent orange bumper approximately 20 ft. north of the street. That will obviously need to be removed and the grade crossing rehabilitated/rebuilt down to RR Ave. (This is like a freaking addiction...I never thought this line would come back to life, but you can't argue with crews laying new track!)
 #1618174  by Bracdude181

Was told by a friend that they are working at Fairfield Road today, and that some slightly used 132 pound rail was dropped off there. He didn’t have time to take pictures, but I should have some more on here by the end of the week.
 #1618333  by CharlieL

Yeah, they're visible. They seem to go down a lot faster than the wood ties. I guess because they're punched appropriately for the rail, less time setting the rail. Between when you took the picture and end of work today they've doubled the distance on steel ties.