• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

Unloading ties at Okerson, cleaning and prepping roadbed between Howell and Fairfield.

Noticed they are following pole line for south leg of wye, guy wires in the path; guess the power company will need to move them.

The comment that tracks may be over sewer lines: for the last 3 months or more a company that lines installed pipe has been working at the facilities on railroad and southard aves. May be related.
  by pdtrains

Thx for the pix.. Where were the last 3 taken (curved track near building, and highway grade crossing)?
  by Bracdude181

Last picture is the Victory Road crossing and the two above it are of the current FIT connection.
  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:04 pm Unloading ties at Okerson, cleaning and prepping roadbed between Howell and Fairfield.

Noticed they are following pole line for south leg of wye, guy wires in the path; guess the power company will need to move them.

The comment that tracks may be over sewer lines: for the last 3 months or more a company that lines installed pipe has been working at the facilities on railroad and southard aves. May be related.
I guess that's where the ties and some of the rail I mentioned yesterday went. They are moving really fast, that guy who said the rumor about them being done by June looks like it will probably be true. I wonder if the sand trains in June will also be true too...
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:50 pm Image
They cleared the PRR line and space next to it…
Great pictures! I wonder if the markings on the road in picture 2 have anything to do with the construction... Odd that they cleared the PRR track and the space next to it? What will the track in the middle be for? Are they going to use as a yard/storage for the engines?

Also, those markings at Victory Rd are interesting. Are they going to be putting in a second track there? Is that a marking for crossing signals?
  by Bracdude181

They might be rebuilding the crossing surface there.

The clearing of both the PRR main and space next to is surprising. Funnily enough I mentioned the possibility of them doing that yesterday and running the track between the sewer monitor and the JCPL yard there. Looks like that’s what they are doing. The curve they cut is pretty wide.

But to clear the PRR main as well? I wonder if a train yard is planned…
  by CharlieL

At victory Rd, maybe someone getting service? That would be good, shows advantage of a small company over conrail. They're hungry and will try to accommodate.

Many more ties dropped at Okerson than were in Farmingdale. Enough for the leads both sides to the crossing plus replace some ties toward Prestone.

Also a portapotty at Okerson - a sure sign of more serious work to be done
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:40 pm The clearing of both the PRR main and space next to is surprising. Funnily enough I mentioned the possibility of them doing that yesterday and running the track between the sewer monitor and the JCPL yard there. Looks like that’s what they are doing. The curve they cut is pretty wide.

But to clear the PRR main as well? I wonder if a train yard is planned…
The area there seems too narrow and not long enough to have an adequate yard. Maybe you could have a at least 5 tracks in there, but you'd have to split pretty much any train you put in there amongst them which probably isn't very efficient. I could be wrong.

I think it's more likely that DRRR will build some facilities around the center track, like offices, a maintenance facility, refueling, etc.
Last edited by JohnFromJersey on Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:48 pm At victory Rd, maybe someone getting service? That would be good, shows advantage of a small company over conrail. They're hungry and will try to accommodate.

Many more ties dropped at Okerson than were in Farmingdale. Enough for the leads both sides to the crossing plus replace some ties toward Prestone.

Also a portapotty at Okerson - a sure sign of more serious work to be done
There is some sort of place next to the tracks on Victory Rd that seems to deal with metals. Burns and McDonnell I think.

Lots of places seem to be getting prepared to take advantage of DRRR's services, especially when the FIT-SOUS connection opens up and there's literally no more NJT restrictions. Rumor has it the old tar/asphalt plant on Marl Rd may try to get some service. There has been tons of work on the property there recently. There used to be a siding there.

It looks like DRRR is on the path of bringing this line back to its days of when Conrail serviced tons of customers, before they were split amongst CSX and NS