Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1615603  by Bracdude181

Hmm… If that’s the amount of room they got then I see two ways of doing this.
Option 1: Thread the needle between the JCPL property and what I assume is a gas meter box, following the old PRR line to Gold Lumber and connect it there.
Option 2: Have the south wye switch built beyond the to two areas there, skirt the Republic Services property, then turn slightly to meet the existing tracks.

Since they already cleared from Southard Ave straight to Railroad Ave, they’ll probably go for the former.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1615604  by AWSmith

The problem is there are guy wires in the way between the sub station and the sewer station . They do not appear to be making any attempt to clear the ROW by the JCP&L property , there is a pile of survey stakes near the end of the existing trackImage

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#1615605  by CharlieL

Sewage. There's another one by the Gold's lumber car stop. And if they do it they will need to thread that needle to get a decent turn radius.

And they're not going to do anything until it is surveyed and marked out. They're not into expensive mistakes.
 #1615607  by CR2721

I doubt C&D would want "thread any needles" if they plan on hauling heavier 286k cars through here (i.e. longer wheelbase rolling stock) If I were in their position, I would do Option 1 as mentioned above so you can make a more gradual curve to, plus it's a hair shorter in distance for rail material to make. Seems like a win win there.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

#1615610  by Bracdude181

@CR2721 I’m not exactly sure if my drawings correctly show the amount of rail they would build in regards to length. I was just trying to show how they could do it. I used google earth which just gave me the length of the line I drew. Tried to draw it as wide as I could because that’s what C&D calls for in their track standards. Google earth doesn’t do curved lines.

I don’t think we will see any cars longer than the 73 foot centerbeams we see regularly.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1615619  by AWSmith

R&DB wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:34 pm Option 1. I'm sure JCPL can find a way to relocate the one guywire and the turn radius is better.
There are actually quite a few guy wires. Video--- https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z6jy4QbZtR5AKfcC6

There are markouts in the grass in this video that could be the borders of a proposed right of way between the sewage pump station and the guy wire anchors. It could just fit between these markouts. They would need to raise the triplex power lead to the pump station though.
Last edited by AWSmith on Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.