Railroad Forums 

• Defiance, OH Depot - Demolished 3/23/06

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#229085  by railohio

It was past time to get rid of that eyesore.

Now if they'd only finish off the one in Deshler...

~Brian

#229312  by WNYRailfan

railohio wrote:It was past time to get rid of that eyesore.

Now if they'd only finish off the one in Deshler...
Well I disagree with those statements. It is not about currently what the building looks like, it is about the memories the building holds. Deshler may be needing some repair, but with the tower nearby it could be something great. Just think at how many people saw that building as their first introduction to Deshler, OH. Such a neat structure.

#229339  by Hoosierailnut

Yet another B&O Chicago Divison depot gone............. Sigh....
We lost the neat one that sat in Garrett back 10 years ago this summer. Pretty soon there will be nothing left!
Anyone know if the Syracuse depot is still standing? The last time I saw that one was in 1999 or so.

#229460  by railohio

That's a perfectly acceptable opinion to hold. I wasn't attacking any individual with my reply but rather pointing out the simple facts of the situation. What options were available other than demolition? Was there an organized group to preserve the depot? How were they to pay for the construction work? What were their plans for it once it was saved from the wrecking ball? How about maintenance costs?

#229613  by MSchwiebert

Having been in the upstairs of the old Garrett building shortly before it was torn down, I can tell you that it would have been beyond the means of any group to bring that building back to a condition that would have been safe & met building codes. I'd like to hope that the facilities in Deshler would be preserved for intrepretive/historical purposes, but to do so is going to require a substantial source of funds.
Hoosierailnut wrote:Yet another B&O Chicago Divison depot gone............. Sigh....
We lost the neat one that sat in Garrett back 10 years ago this summer. Pretty soon there will be nothing left!
Anyone know if the Syracuse depot is still standing? The last time I saw that one was in 1999 or so.