Railroad Forums 

• Deerfield River Railroad locomotive boiler

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1347672  by B&M 1227

while driving home from brattleboro today i turned off onto woods rd in search of the drrr logging railroad bed. descending a streambed from the rd in search of the remains of the drrr bridge i found nothing... but turning around was this gen. i've floated these pics around and have received confirmation that this is indeed a boiler, almost certainly from a drrr/ht&w engine. if it is indeed a drrr engine it may even be the last extant piece, errr pieces, of equipment of the road. looks that the smokebox and firebox were removed but the butt straps and hole for the steam dome suggest it was boiler.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (219.2 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (138.75 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (135.28 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
 #1347692  by Mikejf

Definately looks like a lap seam boiler. The through shot appears to have some pipe on the further end. I have also seen some pipes like this, that were not boilers, and wonder if they were some kind of smoke stack or tank car with the ends removed. Very nice find.
 #1347770  by B&M 1227

Mike,

The other end has a rolled steel cylinder and different stone work along with poured cement. I imagine when they widened the road they tossed it in there rathr than replace the whole culvert. I initially thought it a tank car but several knowledgable individuals maintain that it is a boiler. It is possible its a stationary boiler from Mountain Mills, but I am hopeful it had DRRR origin.