Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1594774  by ConstanceR46

From newsday:

1/1 - Speonk, NY. Some people find antique automobiles in barns. Some people find trains. That became the case for Jan Mcgirk, a 35-year-old resident of Babylon, after her father passed away last year. Left with his sprawling property - a former farm - she began cleaning out years upon years of debris, when she happened upon something extraordinary.

LIRR #348, a pioneering electric locomotive, sat in her father's barn, flanked by rusting tractors and raccoon nests. "We don't know how he got it there!", said Jan, amazed at the find. "It's the kind of thing you only hear about in movies. There's no record of this, we checked with every historical society. It appears the engine just vanished from a scrap dealer's lot in the 1950s and ended up here."

Jan anticipates selling the antique locomotive for scrap, however. "It's nice, and all, but copper prices are very high."
 #1594893  by eolesen

You know Pennsy or someone else is probably still driving all over Speonk trying to find it...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1594895  by Pensyfan19

eolesen wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:43 pm You know Pennsy or someone else is probably still driving all over Speonk trying to find it...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Nice try. I know an April Fools post when I see one. (I should know since I just uploaded one yesterday.)
 #1594954  by RGlueck

Even better news. The MTA has agreed to paint it in blue and yellow, with a giant "M" on the ends, then run it on the Port Jeff line as well as the Metro North lines. Afterward, it will be donated to the Age of Steam Collection in Frisco, Texas, to match the GG1.
 #1595057  by alchemist

We just have to find funding to move it to the same museum keeping the old steam loco found in an abandoned subway tunnel in Brooklyn. :wink:
 #1595090  by west point

alchemist wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:53 pm We just have to find funding to move it to the same museum keeping the old steam loco found in an abandoned subway tunnel in Brooklyn. :wink:
Careful!! Remember there is a steam loco in an abandoned fallen in tunnel in Richmond Va.
 #1595102  by RGlueck

And I've been told a Long Island H-10s buried under a McDonalds Restaurant someplace on the Island. Why was is buried there for no good reason? Don't ask stupid questions!
 #1595127  by Pensyfan19

RGlueck wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:43 am And I've been told a Long Island H-10s buried under a McDonalds Restaurant someplace on the Island. Why was is buried there for no good reason? Don't ask stupid questions!
I remember someone said they found one of the LIRR's first steam locomotives in the (partially undiscovered) abandoned Cobble Hill tunnel in Brooklyn, so who knows... :wink: