Railroad Forums 

• danville junction industries

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#28277  by hh660

Just spent a bit of time at Danville Junction the other night, impressed by the amount of industry that uses rail!
How's the pig train doing? Does anyone have any idea as to the car count that stl and atlantic-I know, that's not the name, I can't remember what it is now- handles on a daily basis?
There wasn't much going on in terms of activity at 8pm or so, but with the number of industries around there, they must keep a crew busy.
Any info would be appreciated,
thanks
 #28423  by railfancurtis

i was up there roughly the same time yesterday and i was also impressed by what appeared to be a lot of action.

the pig train, (SL&A) looks like it hasn't changed in years, except that now they aredouble stacks. im not sure if you mean guilford's pig trains, but i heard they haven't been running them for a while now

i also noticed safe handling's distribution center in the outskirts of lewiston. does anyone know the extent of this yard? is there a switcher kept here? it appeared to be a pretty decent sized yard that recieved a lot of action...

-curtis
 #28459  by wolfmom69

The only industry that gets cars at Danville Jct proper,is Morin Brick. The use the ramp next to the road by the old grain mill(closed for 30 years or more,but once a rail user) to unload boxcars of brick. They also make brick just down the road in a large plant. SLRs (you were right,St.Lawrence & Atlantic-but St. L. Quebec in Canada) serves the huge Safe Handling facility(and expanding even more!!)at the current end of its Lewiston Auburn Branch that leaves the SLR main at Lewist Jct. where their engine-car shop is. Other inductries on the L-A branch are the huge intermodal yard(many containers to/from L.L.Bean in Freeport are handled here,LPG gas tank farms(2),lumber/plywood dealer,feed mill,plastics factory,and a transload warehouse(mostly paper)- 1 of 3 SLR serves,other 2 are in Mech.Falls & S.Paris. Safe Handling does NOT have a switcher based there,but SLR "train"#516,works from around midnight to 8:00 am switching Safe Hdlg & other inductries on the branch There is NO more dedicated SLR "pig train",they cancelled trains 546/547 3 or 4 years ago. "pigs" today go to and from on their regular freight to/from Island Pond,Vt. This is train393/394 which leaves around 6PM & the other arrives before sunrise or shortly there after. Guilford only serves one industry(besides Morin Brick ramp which is on their tracks) and this is the International Paper plant that makes cardboard boxes just by turnpike exit 12. Usually 5 boxcars a day into the plants enclosed siding. SLRs traffic towards Portland has sadly all but dried up. The cement facility there just closed and in peak years,an ooil transload facility(run by Safe Hdlg.) for the paper mills in Berlin & Groveton meant a daily train(that was "based" in Port;ands E.Deering yard. Now,only covered hoppers of raw means for B&M Baked Beans in Portland,and an occassional boxcar of lumber products for Hancock Lumber in Yarmouth(1/2 way to Portland from Danville) means only 1 or 2 trips per week. A mile up the Guilford mainline,towards Auburn is Hackett Rd. where there is a farm supply firm,a rare user of rail,but this is also the location on Rumford Jct.(tracks to Rumford taken up in 1952),but a long passing siding is the locale of frequent Guilford meets,especially trains PORI and RIPO,in tha late morning. These are the 2 that do the interchange work with the SLR at Danville. Bud :P
 #28495  by hh660

thanks for the info, Bud. It certainly makes guilford's efforts pale by comparison. As a kid, I remember watching -and hearing the 'slamming' of rr cars the west Commercial yard at all hours of the day and night. It was a great way to spend summer days. Merrills Marine has a bit of activity, if only they would expand to the old yard 8 (?) area. Rigby was active too. Over 1000 cars a day were handled there. Now around 300-they are bigger though.
 #29293  by Paul Cutler III

I think the funniest thing I saw at Danville Jct. was a 50' double door box alongside the loading dock with both doors open next to the dock. The boxcar had a load of bricks in it, untouched.

The funny part is that the doors on the dock side had a note on the tack board that said "UNLOAD FROM OTHER SIDE". The side away from the dock had the note "UNLOAD FROM THIS SIDE ONLY". Only on Guilford...

#29330  by wolfmom69

:P Ive seen many a car in this mode at Morin Bricks ramp. Their fork lift drivers are "good"(I drove fork lift in a brick yard for 2 summers,and you gotta have a good touch with that rought terrain). BUT- Guilford has had to take several cars back to Rigby & turn them(Yard 8 wye)for Allied Container,the International Paper facility just east of Danville,across from turnpike exit. These usually have to be unloaded "as instructed",with the "cardboard "for the corrugated box plant. Why they just dont have the SLR take em 1 mile away & turn em at Lewiston Jct. wye has always been beyond me,but,as you said, "only on Guilford."!