Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Amtrak7

2 more PM and 1 more AM is running from Branchville now. Why can't they serve Redding?
  by Ridgefielder

Amtrak7 wrote:2 more PM and 1 more AM is running from Branchville now. Why can't they serve Redding?
If you have to terminate the run short of Bethel, it makes more sense to use Branchville than Redding because a) Branchville has a siding and b) Branchville has much better road access than Redding, so it's a lot easier to make the train-bus transfer.
  by MNCRR9000

I was just looking at the MTA website and it looks like they are going to operate the following trains to Branchville for the PM rush hour.
The 5:10 PM train departing Grand Central will operate to Branchville. Customers going to Redding, Bethel and Danbury should transfer at South Norwalk for bus service to these stations.
The 5:50 PM departing Grand Central will operate to Branchville. Customers going to Redding, Bethel and Danbury should transfer at South Norwalk for bus service to these stations.
The 6:22 PM train from Grand Central will operate to Branchville. Customers going to Redding, Bethel and Danbury should transfer at South Norwalk for bus service to these stations.
http://mta.info/mnr/html/danbury.htm
  by DutchRailnut

Jeff Smith wrote:Off-Topic: Um, Patrick, time to retire the signature "The M-8 is coming...but will it beat the apocalypse?" The M-8 has indeed won the race!

Now, will the Danbury Branch Study beat the apocolypse????

AFAIK, Dutch was previously qualified on the Beacon. I believe the HRRC pilot is for the stretch of the branch that they own up to the state line. I would imagine they could just toss him/her overboard at that point, but that wouldn't be neighborly now, would it? ;-)

I guess we'll have a good idea of the condition of the connection after this....
Correct I was expired so they had a HRRC SLE pilot me on HRRC and a person requalifying me on MNCR portion.
Me and yesterdays engineer are current again for entire move if it happens again in next year or so.
I like to thank HRRC Superintendent Rick A. for his help and understanding, It was great to work with the co-operation of both railroads.
Im sure some day the HRRC may need our track for a Emergency, as nothing ever goes according to timetable or weather gods ;-)
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Kurt

Great photos FL9AC. I see you got a picture of my back as it was departing Danbury. Here are a few I got :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Kurt

through Danbury
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Kurt

IN the Mill Plain, CT area
  by Kurt

more photos
  by Kurt

in Brewtser
  by Kurt

Near the end
  by Penn Central

DutchRailnut wrote: Beacon line has some washouts and Maybrook east is still out of service from Botsford to Derby.
I guess the Beacon Line was OK to get the equipment out. Didn't they knock the shoes off a Genesis when they ran it up from Derby years ago? That was a costly mistake at the time.
  by DutchRailnut

yup and almost killed a lady in Newtown but we could not go that way as part of Maybrook east is out of service.
Even part between Brewster and Danbury is restricted to 10 mph (ouch ) The shoe issue is normally only east of Danbury, but we did loose some shoes somewhere due to Ice or a boulder.
Ran the 13 car train into GCT and then had to run a mini of that train back to Brewster as a spare...
  by Clean Cab

Once again Don Nelson's investment pays off. He spearheaded the purchasing of the former Maybrook Line from HRR for $40 million in 1994 (or was it 1993?).

He once told me that he didn't want to see the line scrapped and that it may have use in the future. Somehow I doubt this is what he had in mind!! :)