Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Kurt

Yes, you are correct I forgot about those. Only one that I could see any amount of traffic on would be Crosby Ave, due to its proximity to the village of Brewster.
  by FL9AC

Here's a few shots of "Extra 6105 South" from Seger Street (Danbury Mall) today:

by MNCRR9000

FL9AC wrote:Here's a few shots of "Extra 6105 South" from Seger Street (Danbury Mall) today...
Nice pictures! Were both locomotives providing power to help tow the train or was just one locomotive providing the power?
  by HBLR

MNCRR9000 wrote:
FL9AC wrote:Here's a few shots of "Extra 6105 South" from Seger Street (Danbury Mall) today...
Nice pictures! Were both locomotives providing power to help tow the train or was just one locomotive providing the power?
I was wondering the same thing. I remember something about the cab car having to face away from the locomotive or something.
  by Trainer

M Train Via Loop wrote:I thought that all train movement required Putnam and Dutchess counties to receive advance notice of more than a week. Is that regulation still in effect, or did this situation warrant a bypass of that timeframe?
I'm sure that Dutch notified them well in advance by blowing the horn 3 times as he went over the state line.

Thanks for the updates. I'll try to catch the moves on Wednesday :-)
  by DutchRailnut

Both locomotives were online each providing HEP to their own part of the train and traction to entire consist.
  by Jeff Smith

Some of this posted earlier by MNCRR9900, but I thought I'd refresh with this from the News-Times:

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/ ... 048548.php

I would point out that the use of Maybrook line instead of Beacon line is debatable, except in a historical context. However, they are definitely not going over to the Hudson line, but the Harlem, of course.
Until the supporting embankment is restored, the railroad will run one train each during the morning and evening peaks, the 7:10 a.m. out of Branchville to Grand Central Terminal and the 6:28 p.m. train from Grand Central to Branchville.

The 5:10 p.m. train departing Grand Central Terminal is canceled, though connecting bus service will meet the 5:26 p.m. train to South Norwalk.

The 5:16 p.m. shuttle from Stamford is canceled, and those boarding at Stamford should board the 5:10 p.m. train from Stamford to South Norwalk.

The 5:50 p.m. train departing Grand Central Terminal is canceled and customers should take the 5:57 p.m. train from Grand Central to South Norwalk for connecting bus service.

The 7:43 p.m. shuttle from Stamford will not connect with the 6:55 p.m. train from Grand Central, but the 7:05 p.m. train from Grand Central will connect with bus service at South Norwalk.

Metro-North hopes to reestablish rail service as far north as Branchville by routing the three diesel locomotives and 24 coach cars trapped Monday morning in the Danbury station through the Maybrook line, a railway that has not carried regular passenger service since the 1920s, but acted as a freight route through the early 1990s.

The trains would travel from Danbury across the state line to Brewster to connect to the Hudson line if the Maybrook rails are in passable shape, Anders said.
  by Patrick A.

With Dutchie at the helm!
  by Jeff Smith

Off-Topic: Um, Patrick, time to retire the signature "The M-8 is coming...but will it beat the apocalypse?" The M-8 has indeed won the race!

Now, will the Danbury Branch Study beat the apocolypse????

AFAIK, Dutch was previously qualified on the Beacon. I believe the HRRC pilot is for the stretch of the branch that they own up to the state line. I would imagine they could just toss him/her overboard at that point, but that wouldn't be neighborly now, would it? ;-)

I guess we'll have a good idea of the condition of the connection after this....
  by MNCRR9000

With the three maxi-bombs back in service along with the two zippers has there been talk of running the regular rush hour trains to and from Branchville or are they just going to stick to running the 7:10am out of Branchville going to Grand Central and the 6:28pm from Grand Central to Branchville.
  by FL9AC

The Housatonic pilot gets off at state line as that is the end of his jurisdiction. Too bad the sky was overcast today, but the move was quite impressive!
  by MNCRR9000

The forecast for tomorrow night into Friday doesn't look too good with more rain predicted.
The National Weather Service says the new rainfall will exacerbate already high water levels in area rivers and streams as an additional 2 to 4 inches of rain fall starting tomorrow night.
Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/More ... z1G7ykPAaL
  by FL9AC

Here's a few shots from today's special move out of Danbury...Consist was cab car 6306 leading seven cars and the 222, then three cars and the 126, and then three more cars and the 110 bringing up the rear:

(awaiting the ok to head out in Danbury)

(Staging next to the DRM just before White Street)

(Heading out)

(Just south/west of Joe's Hill Road next to Route 6)

(pulling up to Pumphouse Rd. Crossing in Brewster)

BL20GH 110 brings up the markers on "Extra 6306 South")

Final shots of the extra now heading south at Dykemans-Route 312 in Brewster)

And a quick Video at Dykemans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TlOqhhh9_c
Last edited by FL9AC on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.