Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RDL 879

The photos do give new meaning to the term "suspended service."
  by M Train Via Loop

I thought that all train movement required Putnam and Dutchess counties to receive advance notice of more than a week. Is that regulation still in effect, or did this situation warrant a bypass of that timeframe?
  by HBLR

It all most looks like there was a bridge there before and it washed away. 2 weeks is a pretty reasonable timeframe, but i won't be surprised if it takes longer.
  by DutchRailnut

correct specialy since there is 2" to 4" of rain expected Thursday night into Friday
  by DutchRailnut

M Train Via Loop wrote:I thought that all train movement required Putnam and Dutchess counties to receive advance notice of more than a week. Is that regulation still in effect, or did this situation warrant a bypass of that timeframe?
The move never went into Duchess and as far as Im concerned Putnam can kiss my ...
As far as Railroad notifying is concerned, its not my problem.
  by Noel Weaver

Putnam County = County, MTA = State of New York. Last I knew the state is higher authority than the county is.
It makes a lot of sense to move this badly needed equipment out of Danbury and make use of it where it is needed elsewhere. Certainally more practical to run it to Brewster, pilots, track supervisors, out of service track and other conditions notwithstanding than to involve a move all the way to Pittsfield then either west or east from there.
Noel Weaver
  by theozno

I can see every rail buff in the area reading this which is free as they go out of the Danbury Yard Tomorrow. I wish I was one of them I would love to see a picture as they go out on to white street and pass Main Street in Danbury. I am currently working in VT out of the area til Thursday. Does the "no right turn" sign still work off of franklin street in Danbury?
  by MNCRR9000

Oh yeah I would have loved to have gotten out there today to see the 2 bomb trains make there way to Brewster but I am currently in New Hampshire at the moment. Hopefully somebody will get some pictures tomorrow.

I was also wondering when the trains are making there way over to Brewster do they have to maintain radio contact with the HRRC headquarters as they pass each block? On the New York side which of the OCC districts are they under?
  by Patrick A.

Were you in the head end in run today Dutch and will you be on tomorrows?
  by Kurt

I am off in the morning, once I get my kids to school. I will see what I can get in the Brewster area.

As for the notification, I don't think that it is a big deal, there are no crossings between State Line and Brewster. That and the argument could be made that this is an emergency, due to the amount of equipment stuck , and the amount of repair time needed to fix the washout.
Last edited by Kurt on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

today I was playing Conductor , tomorrow I am the Engineer, currently no Conductors are Qualified on HRRC or Beacon .
we did have two Conductors on the train and two Engineers, same tomorrow.
  by Patrick A.

Neat. So I take it that they're going to couple both the mini-bombs to the remaining maxi and do it in one run?
  by DutchRailnut

most likely yes
  by Amtrak7

Kurt wrote:As for the notification, I don't think that it is a big deal, there are no crossings between State Line and Brewster.
According to checkthedoorlight's map, there's Joe's Hill Road, Crosby Avenue, and Pumphouse Road.