Railroad Forums 

• Danbury Railway Museum Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1045737  by Otto Vondrak

I made a brief visit to the DRM on Sunday... Arrived too late for a Budd car ride, but I managed to entertain myself with my own self-guided tour.

A few thoughts: The New Haven-painted RS-1 could use a coat of wax. Would bring the shine right back out of the finish.

The rest of the equipment: The rust is really starting to take over a lot of pieces in the yard. At this point, even getting a coat of primer on some of these pieces would help improve the look of the displays until proper paint can be applied. Some pieces just need a little clean-up to remove the rust. Unfortunately, that's the first thing I notice when I walk the yard, is how much stuff is rusting badly. And rust does not look good to the public.

-otto-
Attachments:
Metro-North NYC-painted FL9 on turntable at Danbury.
Metro-North NYC-painted FL9 on turntable at Danbury.
nyc-danbury.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
 #1045840  by andre

Otto Vondrak wrote:I made a brief visit to the DRM on Sunday... Arrived too late for a Budd car ride, but I managed to entertain myself with my own self-guided tour.

A few thoughts: The New Haven-painted RS-1 could use a coat of wax. Would bring the shine right back out of the finish.

The rest of the equipment: The rust is really starting to take over a lot of pieces in the yard. At this point, even getting a coat of primer on some of these pieces would help improve the look of the displays until proper paint can be applied. Some pieces just need a little clean-up to remove the rust. Unfortunately, that's the first thing I notice when I walk the yard, is how much stuff is rusting badly. And rust does not look good to the public.

-otto-
yes that has been a problem for some time (since before I started there) but now more projects are getting off the ground to address such issues. The washboards are finally getting attention. The flat cars are going to be cleaned, repainted and have new decking applied. However some pieces in the yard do not belong to us such as the Conrail Mechanical Reefer,
the MLW FB1/Fb2, NYC E9, RSC-2, isnt owned by the museum (however the board is working with the owner to get them repainted)

the cabooses have proposals and plans to be repainted just no project manager at this time.
 #1061938  by Metro-Man101

I'm a volunteer with the Danbury Railway Museum. We desperately need funding like other museums do. One way I think would be a great way to raise funds is to use some of our passenger rolling stock to run revenue passenger trains between our Museum and either the former stations in New Milford and or Brookfield. The Housatonic Railroad Company owns all the track in that area. If this proves to be successful, maybe bring our train service further to Kent or Upper Litchfield County, for race day service to Lakeville's Lime Rock Park(a local raceway). That can result in Charter trips which would generate more revenue for us. Housatonic Railroad would also be able to spend less money on R.O.W. maintenance because our crews would be able to assist at a lower cost. It will result in more tourism dollars coming to our upstate communities. It'd also facilitate residents of those areas gain access to the New York City Metropolitan Area. Metro-North Railroad would also benefit because they will make a profit when the riders transfer services at Danbury Railroad Station.
 #1061971  by DutchRailnut

non of equipment in DRM yard is FRA compliant, and most pieces were moved to Museum under waiver, as they can never be made compliant.
As for HRRC they won't let DRM or BSRR run on their tracks anymore
 #1061980  by DutchRailnut

Berkshire Scenic rail road , see HRRC forum and how they got screwed by HRRC.
 #1061986  by DutchRailnut

A bell is not FRA requirement for EMU's and is only a railroad requirement for locomotives and on some railroads Cab cars.
The EMU's do every day pass crossings on New Canaan branch and on Harlem, they have headlights and have Auxiliary lights (ditchlights)
The Ditchlights are not required to flash, but can do so on locomotives.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1062057  by Otto Vondrak

Metro-Man101 wrote:I'm a volunteer with the Danbury Railway Museum.
Obviously a new volunteer.
We desperately need funding like other museums do. One way I think would be a great way to raise funds is to use some of our passenger rolling stock to run revenue passenger trains between our Museum and either the former stations in New Milford and or Brookfield.
Impossible. You have no equipment that is FRA compliant that can carry passengers outside your yard. None. Any excursions run in the past have been with Metro-North equipment only after much effort by MTA and Housatonic to come to agreement on matters of insurance liability. I wonder why we haven't seen any excursions lately?
The Housatonic Railroad Company owns all the track in that area.
Right. See how well that worked out for Berkshire Scenic Railway? They had an agreement in place with Housatonic Railroad, but they were tossed off and now Housatonic refuses to negotiate with anyone, even the state DOT, about resuming excursion service. What makes you think DRM has a chance? I see you are new here, but you should spend some time reading some of the other threads on this web site about the Housartonic Railroad and what a wonderful partner they are.
If this proves to be successful, maybe bring our train service further to Kent or Upper Litchfield County, for race day service to Lakeville's Lime Rock Park(a local raceway). That can result in Charter trips which would generate more revenue for us. Housatonic Railroad would also be able to spend less money on R.O.W. maintenance because our crews would be able to assist at a lower cost. It will result in more tourism dollars coming to our upstate communities. It'd also facilitate residents of those areas gain access to the New York City Metropolitan Area. Metro-North Railroad would also benefit because they will make a profit when the riders transfer services at Danbury Railroad Station.
What a beautiful dream! I wonder why no one at the museum has tried to do what you are suggesting? Go on, I'll wait...

Now if only there was a way to channel your youthful enthusiasm towards some good use... How are you at scraping paint?

-otto-
 #1062345  by Cosmo

Metro-Man101 wrote:Making fun of 18 year olds with ideas...Really?
No... he's just trying to point out the harsh realities that others have already discovered in the past that an 18 yr old will eventually discover for them selves with a touch of sarcastic humor.
Trust me, MOST of us here are thankful for any enthusiastic volunteer, and I'm sure Otto is not trying to diminish you based solely on your age, but you're going to find out eventually what others know and it may be a shock. Feel free to arm yourself with the same humor, it may help you stay somewhat saner in a world that is often harsh and not always (hmm... what's the word I want here....) sympathetic or hospitable towards railfans, preservationists, or to volunteer effort.
 #1062351  by DutchRailnut

And before you utter Idea's effecting the D.R.M. discus it with a museum member, preferable a board member.
Your Idea may have already been given but rejected due to differrent causes, like insurance of several million Dollahhhs, FRA compliancy, lack of qualified crews, no operating agreement, lack of cooperation from HRRC or MNCR due to any of the above ?, cost prohibitive etc etc.