Railroad Forums 

• D&H wheel car #15961

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1501373  by Benjamin Maggi

I came across a photo here (http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/images/dhr ... 961-01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) of a blue D&H flat car with some wheels on it. The car looks to be freshly painted. I contacted the photographer Mark Wright who confirmed that it was taken at Rouses Point but he had no other information, including a date.

Does anybody have any more information about this car? I would like to build a model of it but have no idea when it might have been painted blue, what era it is from, etc. Also, anybody have any other pictures? Thanks.

I first posted this last May on the specific D&H forum thread but received no response, so I am trying the broader NY forum now.
 #1501395  by nydepot

I see running boards on the boxcar and no COTS label on the car. Seems pre-1970s as a start.
 #1501498  by lvrr325

I would suspect mid-1970s on that, that's when blue freight cars seemed to first turn up.
 #1501520  by ExCon90

I was wondering the same thing--would that have been Bruce Sterzing's doing? The paint looks very fresh for an M/W car.
 #1501757  by BR&P

Blowing up the first of those 2 pics, the stencil for the repack appears to be "__-21-74" as near as I can tell.
 #1501857  by pumpers

BR&P wrote:Blowing up the first of those 2 pics, the stencil for the repack appears to be "__-21-74" as near as I can tell.
Good catch! I can see it better in the 2nd pic. Looks like the month is "5".