Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#733733  by Benjamin Maggi

While digging around on the internet I came across, of all places, N-scale Tomar Industries Lighted Drumheads lettered for the D&H. One of their items, as listed in the Walthers catalog, was #220: B&M / D&H "Bar Harbor Express." On the actual Tomar Industries website, it shows this only under the B&M drumheads (but it is numbered as if it once was listed in the D&H section.)

I looked around online for information about the train but saw nothing mentioning the D&H. For my purposes, I don't want information about the train at all. (in case this thread gets moved to a B&M forum). I just want to know if the D&H had anything to do with it. Did the "Bar Harbor Express", which was run as a through train by several railroads, ever run via the D&H? Was this just a typo by Walthers or a mistake by Tomar Industries (who it looks like corrected it?)

Thanks.
 #734179  by CarterB

PRR - NYNH&H - B&M - MEC "Bar Harbor Express" Washington - Philadelphia - New York (Penn) - New Haven - Worcester - Portland - Bar Harbor (Earlier went to Hancock, ME dock)(Mount Desert Limited which later became the Bar Harbor Express) Nowhere near the D&H routes. At one time Guilford owned the MEC, D&H, and B&M but wayyyyyyyyyy later than any passenger runs of such ilk.
The Bar Harbor Express service to Mc Neil Point (Hancock) and the steamer service to Bar Harbor were discontinued in the fall of 1931. The Bar Harbor Express continued to run to Ellsworth until 1957 when service was cut again with the famous train now turning at Bangor. This service continued until September 5, 1960
Consist (1952)
* Washington - Ellsworth: 10 sect-1DR-2CPT
* Philadelphia - Ellsworth: 6CPT-3DR; 8 sect-buffet-lounge; 13 double bedroom; 10 sect-1DR-2CPT (Fri. only)
* Philadelphia - Portland: 12 roomette-3DB-2 single bedroom
* Philadelphia - Rockland, ME: 10 sect-1DR-2CPT
* Philadelphia - Plymouth, NH: 10 sect-1DR-2CPT (Fri. only)
* Philadelphia - New Haven: diner
* Portland - Rockland: diner
* Portland - Ellsworth: diner
 #734203  by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks for all of that information. Now I better understand the situation. I will admit I looked on a map and traced the route of the train and didn't see how the D&H could have been involved (though I never thought about its LEGAL ties through the Guilford connection). Apparently, Tomar Industries got it right and Walthers just needs to catch up.

Ben
 #739212  by Dieter

Thanks for that puzzle solved. I thought with B&M coming across the Hudson at Mechanicsville, a run to Albany on the D&H would be possible. Well, if you want to model a Bar Harbor Express on your D&H layout, it's a good trivia test to see if people who think they know what they're talking about, really do!

D/