Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#724399  by Benjamin Maggi

Living in Menands I used to see the D&H painted Geep and orange caboose working the local. The caboose would be at the tail end of the train heading north, and sometimes it would right behind the engine heading into Kenwood Yard. Here is the train, but it has a CP painted engine.

Also, once at night I saw them switching the industry just north of Albany that is visible from I-787 and across teh street from Huck Finn's. I have never seen them actually switching the team-track industries that is cornered by I-90 and I-787.

Can someone tell me when the oil tank cars are usually switched into the industry, and when the team track is serviced. Apparently it isn't regularly. I usually see the local around 3:30PM, but not always, and now living in Clifton Park not at all!

What other industries are serviced by this train?
 #724502  by march hare

You may get a more comprehensive answer from the Yahoo groups D&H board. There are a couple of CP employees who hang out there occasionally.

My office is right next to the concrete canyon in downtown Albany, haven't seen the local go out during daylight in quite some time. Use to be a regular late afternoon event, often as I was walking out to my car. I suspect they've switched to a nighttime schedule, but not sure on that.

The industry you're referring to with the tank car deliveries is Surpass, a chemical repackager. They take in loads of bulk chemicals like sulfuric acid, chlorine, etc, and repackage for local distribution. Don't think they take petroleum products. For a while anyway, the Kenwood yard job may have been servicing them and the team track as well.

The local does at least two other industries, both of which have been on hard times of late--the former GE silicones plant (now Motiva or some similar corpo-speak name) in Waterford, and Mohawk paper in Cohoes. Believe the caboose was required for the shove move into Mohawk, which has an awkward street crossing to contend with that must be a b###h for the brakeman.

Hope this helps. Like I say, the Yahoo board would probably yield a more authoritative (and more accurate) response.
 #725292  by Bob Sandusky

Pretty much the tank cars are moved around as needed. I go past Kenwood a number of times during the week and actually now live along the CSX line out of Kenwood south. There is no set schedule as i have caught the train blocking the road into Cargill moving cars at all hours of the day or night. I went past at around 6 pm and again at 7:30 tonight and both times cars were being moved around.
 #734874  by D&H7312

Bulk Handlers is the 'team track' on Erie Blvd. It is switched as needed by the local out of Kenwood that works nights, Mon-Sat. On duty time is 2100hrs so the only time normal folks see it is if the return is after sunrise. Most times it runs completely in darkness.
 #806660  by Benjamin Maggi

Has Bulk Handlers closed? It used to have lot of cars (old boxcars used for storage, covered hoppers, tank cars) about, but now I don't see much of anything.