Railroad Forums 

• Current operations in Campbell Hall

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#93170  by riffian

I'm greatly interested in any information about the trains and customers around Campbell Hall. There is always a fair amount of cars there and a set of large road power, usually 3 SD-70s, or similar. Where are the large consignees that support this operation? Does the road train come in from Allentown? If so, do crews run through from there? Finally when and where do the locals operate? I'm presuming the road freight must come up the Bergen County Line, although I've never seen it. Thanks in advance for any info.

#93377  by nick11a

Actually, I'm interested in this too. On my trip to Port Jervis a few months back, I was quite surprised to see the equipment stored there at the station over the weekend. I assume the crews out of Cambell Hall work on weekdays only.

#93702  by trainfreak

Well the power you see is used for local trains. There are two locals that i know of out of Campbell Hall. Theres one that i think goes down to Suffern and back and also one that goes down the Hudson Secondary (breaks off from NJT line at HJ.) I could probaly get more info on this being that my friend's dad works out of Campbell Hall a few times a month.
 #93726  by jmp883

This info may be a little out of date, updated information will be greatly appreciated.

I was a train dispatcher trainee on the NJT ML/BC/PVL/ST desk during most of 2002. We dispatched the Southern Tier (ST) between Suffern, NY and Port Jervis, NY. At that time there were 2 locals that ran out of C.H. Daytime it was HO-8. HO-8 ran east from C.H. as far as Harriman, NY. The primary customer there was Napera Chemical. There was no freight service between Harriman and Suffern. H-55/H-56 were based in Suffern, NY and worked from Suffern east. HO-8 would also run west from C.H. to 4 Story Jct. and down into Middletown. I'm not sure what customers were served, but NS (CR) also interchanged with the Middletown & NJ RR. On occasion HO-8 would go all the way to Port Jervis if there was work there to be done. In regard to the Hudson Secondary, it was HO-8 that handled that run as well. As I recall, HO-8 ran Monday thru Friday while I was employed by NJT.

At night there was an HO-9 (I believe that was the symbol) that worked out of C.H. but since he was usually just starting his shift as I was ending mine I'm not sure what they did.

As for the through freights, yes, they did come up the Bergen County Line. In opposition to what most railroads do with their train symbols, NS did it backwards: 43A was the eastbound, 42A was the westbound. They were general freights that replaced the Conrail OIBU/BUOI. The westbound would usually depart Croxton after 8pm for Suffern Yard. At Suffern they would make a drop of cars for the local (H-55/H-56) and pick up whatever was going west. When I was working on 2nd trick I was usually off-duty before they got to Suffern so I'm not sure what they did once past Suffern, but I think it would be safe to assume that they stopped at C.H. for a drop-off/pick-up as well as doing the same at Port Jervis.

I hope this answered some of your questions. Like I stated at the beginning, this information is slightly dated. Anyone who can provide current information on C.H. operations will be most welcome.

Joe P :-D
 #93785  by nick11a

jmp883 wrote:This info may be a little out of date, updated information will be greatly appreciated.

I was a train dispatcher trainee on the NJT ML/BC/PVL/ST desk during most of 2002. We dispatched the Southern Tier (ST) between Suffern, NY and Port Jervis, NY. At that time there were 2 locals that ran out of C.H. Daytime it was HO-8. HO-8 ran east from C.H. as far as Harriman, NY. The primary customer there was Napera Chemical. There was no freight service between Harriman and Suffern. H-55/H-56 were based in Suffern, NY and worked from Suffern east. HO-8 would also run west from C.H. to 4 Story Jct. and down into Middletown. I'm not sure what customers were served, but NS (CR) also interchanged with the Middletown & NJ RR. On occasion HO-8 would go all the way to Port Jervis if there was work there to be done. In regard to the Hudson Secondary, it was HO-8 that handled that run as well. As I recall, HO-8 ran Monday thru Friday while I was employed by NJT.

At night there was an HO-9 (I believe that was the symbol) that worked out of C.H. but since he was usually just starting his shift as I was ending mine I'm not sure what they did.

As for the through freights, yes, they did come up the Bergen County Line. In opposition to what most railroads do with their train symbols, NS did it backwards: 43A was the eastbound, 42A was the westbound. They were general freights that replaced the Conrail OIBU/BUOI. The westbound would usually depart Croxton after 8pm for Suffern Yard. At Suffern they would make a drop of cars for the local (H-55/H-56) and pick up whatever was going west. When I was working on 2nd trick I was usually off-duty before they got to Suffern so I'm not sure what they did once past Suffern, but I think it would be safe to assume that they stopped at C.H. for a drop-off/pick-up as well as doing the same at Port Jervis.

I hope this answered some of your questions. Like I stated at the beginning, this information is slightly dated. Anyone who can provide current information on C.H. operations will be most welcome.

Joe P :-D
Thanks for the scoop. Even if it is slightly out of date, I'm sure some of it is probably still relevant.

#93919  by Phase Gap

As of right now jmp883 is right about what goes on at campbell hall but just so you know as of june the nys&w will take over all operations out of campbell hall..

#93956  by cjvrr

Phase Gap,

I have heard that rumored to occur, but has that been confirmed? Was there an announcement?

Chris

#94037  by Phase Gap

I WORK FOR NJT AND I TALK TO PEOPLE FROM THE NS AND THEY ARE ALREADY MOVING THE H07 TO CROXTON AND THE UNION SAYS THAT EVERONE THERE IS GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE A PICK TO SOMWHERE ELSE.

#94159  by Lackawanna484

I believe there was a news release within the past two months that the Central New York, a NYSW company, was leasing the Tier east of BD. The release said that the service area was Binghamton to Suffern. (Guess that includes the Hudson and Maybrook tracks)

#94295  by cjvrr

Thanks Phase Gap!

Lackawanna, the news release from CNY was just the section between Binghamton MP 211 and Port Jervis, MP 87. Nothing about service east to Suffern.

The Central New York is already serving the line between Binghamton and Port Jervis on a daily basis using former P&W 2209 and 2208. I caught the 2209 at the Frito Lay factory east on Binghamton, Monday.

Will be neat to see the CNY running the Campbell Hall area, but I hope it does not displace too many NS crews.

Chris