Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1595041  by Train60

Bids for the Windsor Locks station project were opened on March 30, 2022. The low bidder is Manafort Brothers Inc. with a bid of about $19.7 million.

The three bids are listed on this linked PDF
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOT/docum ... 0-0016.pdf

The bid opening was delayed twice, probably to give additional companies time to prepare and submit a bid. As it is, the project only received three bids.

Planned "contract time" is 950 calendar days, which works out to about 2 years and 7 months.
 #1606903  by Train60

daybeers wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:31 pm 950 days lmao!!
Keep in mind that this includes an significant amount of road&bridge work and a new maintenance of way facility on the site of the current station. With some luck the new passenger station will open in the summer of 2024, which is not that far away considering how long this station has been in talked about. (20 years?)
 #1606983  by Train60

Totally agree, but its the design work, permitting, environmental review, etc. that take most of the time and a lot of the money in this country. Once the contractor has they Notice to Proceed they move along with some speed from my experience.
 #1611595  by CVRA7

Kilo Echo wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:07 pm
What will become of the historic station? (When last I saw it, the old station was festooned with patriotic swags.)

I sincerely hope that the historic Windsor Locks Station is already protected from fire damage - at least with heat and smoke detectors. The plan for the station sounds very close to what was proposed for the Berlin CT historical station. Unfortunately for Berlin it burned to the bare walls just as restoration work began. While I never saw any official cause for the fire, a trusted and informed source told me the fire was probably caused by sparks generated from sawing or torch cutting of the old hot water/steam heating system. There was no "fire watch" or smoke/heat detector system present and the fire was only discovered when it went through the station roof. I would put the blame for this on whoever was responsible for the rehab work being done and those doing the work. Hopefully this sad story is known by those in charge of the historic Windsor Locks station.