Railroad Forums 

• CSX status update, I need someones opinion

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1277135  by shawn9106

Well I took my strength test and had my physical a week and a half ago, The status on csx page was pre-employment screening in progress, then June 11 it changed to " your pre-employment screening has been completed" i got no email so i decided to call and the lady was on vacation tell the 25th, does anyone know what that means?
 #1277150  by railroadhopeful14

I am kind of in the same boat. I interviewed last Tuesday, for Connelsville. The hiring manager said we should know if we were chosen or not within 2 days. Well, It is a week later, and my status on the webpage still reads "Interview Completed" Should I take this as they haven't chosen their candidates yet, or I haven't been chosen for a postion, or was the 2 day comment made way prematurely? Any Advice would be much appreciated.
 #1277380  by sharik2073

The next step is getting a date for REDI center. No news just means they have not scheduled you for a REDI class yet. Once they do they will call you. I got a two weeks notice for REDI when they called me. If they have not responded to you they haven't put you into a class yet. If you had failed the pre employment process it would have stated it and you would have been notified immediately. Remember, no news is good news.
 #1278449  by shawn9106

So When it says Pre-employment screening completed means i passed everything? Its hard to not worry when you have one of these jobs on the line. I believe they said the school is in August so theres another month i have but im not sure.
 #1279371  by ljpierce1965

Another piece of advice. Start STUDYING!!!

The GCOR is one of several rule books you will be referring to. It reads like war and peace.

Memorize the Signal aspects and indications. These must become as automatic and comfortable as scratching an itch without thinking about it. The problem with memorizing signal aspects is that different railroads use different signals for the same indication. One way for us will be different for you, but mean the same thing. It can be confusing. So I recommend getting the terminology down at least,then when you start training find out which signals are applicable to your railroad.

I can't speak for CSX but the definitions in the back of the GCOR would also be highly advisable to memorize.

I just marked up from my conductor training and it was one of the more academically difficult things I've done in recent memory.

Good luck. 2 days on the job and I'm having a blast doing it. The people I work with are a lot of fun.

LJ Pierce
 #1281076  by railroadhopeful14

Shawn, just curious... Did you ever find anything out? I just got onboarded and got my date from REDI. My status changed in one day from reading "Pre-Employment Screening in Progress" To "Hired" it never did say anything about Pre employment screening being complete. This is all within a week of doing my Health screening and Physical Cap test. I hope you got some good news, and I will see you in Atlanta on August 4th
 #1281482  by slchub

Advice is great, but only from those who are seasoned and have knowledge of the advise needed.

Don't pick up a rule book, timetable, etc. until you it is handed to you by the instructor in the classroom. The RR will provide you with all of the materials needed to pass the quizzes and exams. One reason being is the CSX rule book completely changed its numbering system as well as added/deleted some items this past year. If you start studying the old rule book you'll screw yourself pretty hard.

GCOR signals differ as well. There are differences between the UP and BNSF signals even though they use the same rule book. GCOR railroads for the most part use directional signals whereas CSX and uses speed signals.

GCOR is only applicable on railroads that use GCOR. CSX has its own rule book and their signals vary greatly depending upon which territory you will be qualified. The only reason to know GCOR and CSX rules are when you are required to operate over tracks/territory where both railroads may operate over such as the Chicago area.
 #1281528  by ljpierce1965

slchub wrote:Advice is great, but only from those who are seasoned and have knowledge of the advise needed.
Go with what SLCHUB states. I didn't know that CSX was that different from us. Sure enough, I looked and CSX isn't listed as having adopted the GCOR. So that would have messed you up entirely.

I don't have the option to delete my last post or I would.
 #1281985  by shawn9106

hey railroad hopeful and everyone, I got my redi center date and its August 11th for me! My status never changed it still says pre-employment screening completed but i got the good news about 2 weeks ago!