• CSX signal replacement across New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by judgesmails

Signals at 360 (Fairport) came down just before 1:30 today. The final train passing beneath the bridge actually turned out to be a well-timed meet between two trains, the eastbound led by U.P. power and the westbound led by a pair of BNSF units. The bridge was removed about 10 minutes after the last trains passed.

by MC6853

judgesmails wrote:Signals at 360 (Fairport) came down just before 1:30 today. The final train passing beneath the bridge actually turned out to be a well-timed meet between two trains, the eastbound led by U.P. power and the westbound led by a pair of BNSF units. The bridge was removed about 10 minutes after the last trains passed.
It was well timed if you were on the correct side! :P

Good to see you did well over there in that meet; a gondola on Q366 in the correct place was my only salvation over on the other side... Such is life...
  by ScotCP356

So basically all the signals from Auto 351to Auto 362 are torn down? Is the new signals up and running?

-Scottie
  by Otto Vondrak

It was a (COLD) sad day at 360 and 354. Though it was fun to catch the meet at 360 as a fitting departure for the last trains under the old signal bridge!

The times, they are a changin'...

-otto-
  by judgesmails

MC6853 wrote:
It was well timed if you were on the correct side! :P

Good to see you did well over there in that meet; a gondola on Q366 in the correct place was my only salvation over on the other side... Such is life...
Ha, very true! I felt bad for your group on the other side - bad timing. Were you up on the snowbank?
  by northjerseybuff

A little late to this thread, but how many NYC signals are still up? Are all of them coming down?? including those on the River Sub?
  by Otto Vondrak

judgesmails wrote:Ha, very true! I felt bad for your group on the other side - bad timing. Were you up on the snowbank?
I had a good vantage point from the top of Mt. Snow... It wasn't all bad.

Answering about cutovers in the rest of the state, one of the CSX folks told me Haverstraw is up next.

-otto-
  by charlie6017

Excellent photos.........glad some of you folks got out there today to grab the shots!
Otto Vondrak wrote:The times, they are a changin'...
Sigh........are they ever.

I'm glad I got photos (and some video years ago, too) when I did, up and down this line.

Charlie
  by MC6853

judgesmails wrote:Were you up on the snowbank?
I was one of the few guys on "ground level", shooting video... Everybody else up on Mount Foamer was able to get a good telephoto shot of the meet...
  by MP366

I put a short series of jpegs from the top of Mt. Snow/Mt. Foamer(depending on who's post you read) of the removal of auto 360. I walked the canal trail in to watch them lift the WAS 359 later that afternoon if anybody wants to see those, let me know. Pretty much once you've seen one signal lifted you've seen them all. Unfortunately Clark Rigging has had a lot of practice at this....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanrichards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by judgesmails

Just happened to find this photo as I was cleaning out my desk - thought it might be of interest. These were the two signal bridges located just to the west of the Lyndon Rd. bridge in Fairport (not sure if they both were considered to be at 359, or if they were given slightly different location names). The nearer bridge was removed years ago, and the more distant bridge lasted until this past Sunday. My picture is undated, but probably dates from the 1990s.

by charlie6017

Fabulous photo, Judgesmails!

Something I have wondered........why was this signal bridges removed in the first place? Did
a derailment take this down some years ago or something?

Thanks!

Charlie
  by Otto Vondrak

judgesmails wrote:The nearer bridge was removed years ago, and the more distant bridge lasted until this past Sunday. My picture is undated, but probably dates from the 1990s.
I remember that not too long after CSX took over in 1999-2000, this bridge was removed, but the signal hardware was put on masts. Seemed odd to me at the time.

-otto-
  by sd80mac

charlie6017 wrote:Something I have wondered........why was this signal bridges removed in the first place? Did
a derailment take this down some years ago or something?

Thanks!

Charlie
New Lyndon bridge went up and it is blocking the old signals. CSX had to change the height of signal placement. If I recall, these signals on the signal bridge was higher than normal so engineers can see the signal above Lyndon bridge. Or was it another signal bridge i was thinking of??