Railroad Forums 

• CSX "Grow to 65" Plan

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#953433  by Jeff Smith

Interesting article on Progressive: http://www.progressiverailroading.com/p ... p?id=27157

While much of the article has to do with CSX' financials, I found this part about Chicago interesting:
'Stay Away' from Chicago

Anchored by the Ohio facility — the gateway's "crown jewel" — the hub-and-spoke network provides a Chicago bypass for western interchange traffic, says Clement. Several years ago, intermodal execs determined CSX needed a third Chicago-area terminal in addition to the Bedford Park and 59th Street facilities. But they decided to build the terminal in northwest Ohio and stay away from congested Chicago, says Clement.

The northwest Ohio facility is not a traditional flat switching yard, which is labor intensive and requires a lot of time to switch cars, he says. The terminal features a "ladder" design with operations down the middle so it can serve as one large yard or two smaller yards.

Intermodal execs are analyzing potential sites in the southern portion of CSX's network for a future northwest Ohio-type terminal, says Clement.

In addition, sites are under consideration for a new central Florida terminal, and CSX execs are working with Maryland Department of Transportation and city of Baltimore officials to determine a site for a terminal between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
I've linked this article to Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RailroadNet

"Like" us and get topical updates via Social Media!
 #953616  by bandaconductor

Its more like "shrink to 65" All it is a fancy way of saying we are cutting jobs to decrease the operating ratio. Seen more jobs cut than actually created in my time with this company. But i guess the way to grow the economy is to keep cutting jobs and not create any.