• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by expbusop

5:55am southbound local freight at Highbridge getting on OP Link shoving caboose first. Could not get engine number from Deegan. Seems little unusual to be shoving that distance. MN has no problem with it?
  by expbusop

3 empty lumber cars, 1boxcar, 2refridgerator cars, GP38-2 2793 caboose leading SB at Highbridge @5:55am. Also 2 RJ Corman trucks on service road of Major Deegan at E 233rd St. carrying sidewinders. Any derailments in area?
  by jtunnel

Quick stop in the rain, with the phone camera. A bit of a mess from CHFP.

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... ?id=123325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also saw the west/other end of the yard where CSX had other issues of their own making.
  by Backshophoss

Well,that explains why RJ Corman was in town,The track that CHFP is on is CSX's? Amtrak was unhappy as well.
  by gregorygrice

P&W and CSX derailment. CHFP brought the rest of the train to Fresh Pond around 11PM.
  by ccutler

I thought they were shipping gravel, but that stuff looks like some sort of asphalt ingredient. What is it?
My amateur guess is that a freight car picked a defective switch. Good thing the cars toppled that way and not where Amtrak trains run.
  by jtunnel

That is gravel. Not all aggregate is grey in color. Connecticut quarries have a wide variety of igneous rock, might even be transloaded from a bulk ship that delivered stone from elsewhere.
  by expbusop

Mixed freight on Link at 138 St Bridge@ 12:50pm today. SD60 8759 and SD40-2 8854, 6 or 8 quick flow hoppers loaded with gravel or ballast, might that be for work at Oak Point?
  by gregorygrice

expbusop wrote:Mixed freight on Link at 138 St Bridge@ 12:50pm today. SD60 8759 and SD40-2 8854, 6 or 8 quick flow hoppers loaded with gravel or ballast, might that be for work at Oak Point?
Brookhaven Rail Terminal stone. Their stone is the only stone that comes in via CSX.

Also heads up, this morning's CSX Y101 from Fresh Pond will have CSX 198754 (freshly painted in FGE "Solid Cold" yellow) in the consist.
  by ccutler

I rode past Oak Point Yard yesterday around 1pm. There seemed to be a deficit of incoming general merchandise cars. Loads of C&D, trash, and sewage were waiting to go upstate, but there was almost no inventory of cars in the yard for local delivery, or in the outgoing cuts of cars. No refrigerator cars, no tank cars, no lumber cars, no covered hoppers. There were only a handful of boxcars at the local warehouses.

Looks like the operational mess is continuing.

A contractor just started work I believe salvaging the derailed and sidelined freight cars, stashed on the east end of the property.
  by DogBert

Caught a massive run to fresh pond saturday motning. 4 Sds and more cars than I've seen in a good long while. I'd guess in the 80-100 range.
  by ccutler

I rode past the yard again today and there was clearly an inbound run Monday night/Tuesday morning, and included some general merchandise cars. Come to think of it, there were no trash cars so I am guessing they were swiftly sent out to the NYAR. Some merchandise cars were already spotted at the warehouses by 1pm and the switcher was busy breaking down the incoming train. Still, the outbound cuts of cars contained no, tank cars, centerbeams, covered hoppers, or refrigerator cars, so I am inferring that NYAR hasn't been getting quality connection service from CSX recently.
  by AlKaLI

From my usual M-7 perch, caught flatcars loaded with green waste containers heading north towards Hell Gate at 7:00 AM this morning. Had not seen a CSXT freight at this time for a number of weeks crossing over the LIRR mainline.
  by gregorygrice

Ever since EHH and other factors, the daily inbound and outbound times have been kind of sporadic.
  by ccutler

I went by Oak Point Yard and they mostly finished cutting up the damaged box cars. Only the bottom frames were uncut. They seem to be loading the scrap into trash containers and NOT hauling it away by rail, which is quite lame.