• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by gregorygrice

Y102 to head over the Fremont Secondary to Fresh Pond within the next hour or so with a whopping 142 cars. Crew is switching the train in Oak Point Yard now.
  by rr503

Why the massive load? Did they miss a day or something?
  by gregorygrice

rr503 wrote:Why the massive load? Did they miss a day or something?
Too many trains keep outlawing on the Hudson. There's more backlog for tomorrowbas well.
  by rr503

Interesting -- I wonder what effect EHH will have on CSX's NY ops.
  by gregorygrice

rr503 wrote:Interesting -- I wonder what effect EHH will have on CSX's NY ops.
This is the effect. Trains are outlawing because they don't want to give crews overtime.
  by Backshophoss

How many "active" tracks at Croton west yard now?
  by freightguy

I think almost all of them. We picked up some cars for Metro North and I really didn't see anything blocked and spiked. I wonder what they'll do with Croton West long term? I could see them keeping the lead on the north end and longer tracks for outlawed freights. Otherwise a lot of real estate that CSX is just paying on not to be used.
  by Backshophoss

After GM shut down the Tarrytown Assembly Plant,CR may have pulled up some yard tracks at Croton west,so the yard may have shrunk
some then.

By Now MN has torn out that small MU yard that was next to Croton North Station,that was the yard the Last PC/MN M-1 was left to rust. :(
  by Train2009

Last Saturday morning Q701 got outlawed until it left Croton early that afternoon.
  by ccutler

I am pleased to report that Oak Point Yard is jam-packed with more boxcars than I've ever seen there before :-D
Also, almost every warehouse boxcar spot in the neighboring buildings has a boxcar.
I assume this is seasonal beverage business, but I don't recall seeing it so busy in prior years.
  by freightguy

Good to know about the influx of boxcars. They smell a lot better than that sludge business they've drummed up in the past couple of years. Last nights one northbound had about 62 cars on the Hudson. It looks like they make the NB train spot the lumber consignee in New Hamburg, NY now as there was a load head out in front of garbage.
  by AMK0123

It would make more sense for them to switch out Chelsea lumber going north as all they have to do is break away and shove back at the switch. Makes even more sense for the B749 to not have to make the 40 plus extra mile round trip going north after servicing Burnwell in Peekskill especially since they can't run two engines on either side, push pull.
I also saw this tonight, http://www.railpictures.net/photo/622202/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is CSX going to start running some of these SD40E3 engines down the Hudson? Looks like its plow is notched for third rail and it has it yellow markings on the plow. Didn't know what the specs of these rebuilt engines are and if Metro North would need to inspect them (even though they already allow the SD40-2).
  by rscott417

ccutler wrote:I am pleased to report that Oak Point Yard is jam-packed with more boxcars than I've ever seen there before :-D
Also, almost every warehouse boxcar spot in the neighboring buildings has a boxcar.
I assume this is seasonal beverage business, but I don't recall seeing it so busy in prior years.
I noticed that warehouse had a ton of boxcars too. That's the new haven distribution building, the most I've seen there at one time is usually 4 cars. I saw RR construction co working on the lead to that spur so I'm thinking they ordered enough supplies to last them the duration of the track repair.
  by DogBert

AMK0123 wrote: I also saw this tonight, http://www.railpictures.net/photo/622202/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is CSX going to start running some of these SD40E3 engines down the Hudson? Looks like its plow is notched for third rail and it has it yellow markings on the plow. Didn't know what the specs of these rebuilt engines are and if Metro North would need to inspect them (even though they already allow the SD40-2).
Good eye & interesting theory. Lord knows the 40-2's and 60's are not getting any younger, and seem to be targeted for retirement from what I've read elsewhere.
  by Backshophoss

Considering that P&W has pulled a few fast ones on the New Haven Line(like the SD 70's on CHFP/FPCH),
it would not be beyond CSX to attempt to send those rebuilds to Oak Point,as long as the unit clears the Rake Off Blocks
at Manitou (MP 46) or gets cut off at Croton West yard. :wink: