• CSX-Oak Point/Fremont

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by tushykushy

Dogbert, excellent photo!

by WIN Tower

the CSX train to Fremont came in this morning with four engines , crossing over the L.I.R.R. mainline at 8:30a . about 9:20a the empty P&W stone train went north , pulled by the 3905 and 3906 .

by WIN Tower

the C.P. train crossed over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. at 4:25p , northbound to Oak Point . two engines and about fifteen cars , four which were flats with M-1's aboard .

by DogBert

P&W inbound, 12:30AM with loaded stone cars...

observation: the P&W crew almost always seems to move their train a LOT faster than CP or CSX over hell gate - by at least 10-15mph faster.

anyone know the speed limit on this stretch of track and why this might be so?

by Legio X

Maybe the P&W crews don't want that information out in the open......loose lips sink ships.

by DogBert

Not trying to sink anyone's battleship. I've seen others move a bit faster up there on occasion, so my first guess is that track conditions are better than what they were and that no one is working up there at night as opposed to during the day these last few months. Maybe P&W moves faster because their engines are better pullers for all I know. though
now that I think more about it, it's probably very simple: they come in with loads, downhill in queens, and out with empties, less weight for the engines to drag uphill on the way out. Csx and CP don't have that luxary. the loads out slow them down (or in csx's case, cause the occasional stall)

And if not they're not moving within regulation, well, not to sound like too much of a nimby, but I don't think anyone would want to see anything derail up there. Yes, amtrak moves way faster up there, but their track is concrete ties and probably able to handle faster speeds than they use.

CP hit the ground not too far down the line what, a month ago?

Keep in mind 10-15mph faster than cp or csx is still at or around 25mph total, since the others only seem to do 5 to 10... the track is probably good for that much, or so I'd hope. I don't know how good that track is, which is why I ask.

by WIN Tower

a few minutes ago , at 11:50p , two locomotives crossed over the mainline of the L.I.R.R. south to Fremont . i imagine they are P&W for the empty stone train in the morning .

by tushykushy

It must be because "usually" the emtpies get shipped back on Tuesday nights. RS-50 passed by 1 hour later than usual with what I imagine must be the empty Tilcon cars.

by John 61

I heard the 50 out at Prima Tues eve picking up the empties. Did P&W bring down any loads?

by WIN Tower

at 3:40p. this afternoon i saw four engines and about fifteen cars , mostly garbage , of a CSX train northbound over the L.I.R.R. mainline ...a sunday move on the Bayridge line , very rare indeed .

by Legio X

Did they bring down a long train, hence the four locomotives?

by DogBert

CP made a rare saturday run, came in around 3 friday night, left around 3 sat. afternoon.

by DogBert

Heads up, P&W inbound right now (12:40AM). Last stone train of the year?

by tushykushy

Probably is, Dogbert, as P&W were off for the holidays last weekend.

by rb

Great sighting from the Triboro tollbooths around 4pm Saturday. CSX was headed to OP with 4 engines and 78-80 cars. A few interesting cars in the consist, too: there was an intermodal flat with garbage containers (I saw one of these here in Boston yesterday) and a strange, very old-looking gray 3-bay hopper. It was all by itself in the middle of the train. Wonder where that may have come from. I remember when the CR weekday trains were 20 cars long!