Railroad Forums 

• CSX in Tampa, Florida

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#93221  by crazy_nip

CSX has the Yeoman Yard complex, which used to be 2 separate yards, the Uceta yard, which was the ACL's yard, and Yeoman yard, which was the SAL's yard.

In recent years the complex has been reconfigured somewhat.

Uceta yard now ONLY handles intermodal (stack, container loading and piggyback/tofc loading) and some of the excess yard trackage is now used as excess or bad order car storage.

Uceta shops, which was the ACL's heavy repair shop is also active, it was the SCL's and CSX's main shop in florida after west jacksonville closed and is still used extensively. The SAL's old shop was closed shortly after the merger in 1967 and was bulldoxed. It was near where TN tower is.

Yeoman yard is the freight classification yard for most all freight in central florida. It is pretty busy. Daily freights include a couple mainfest freights a day, a loaded and empty autorack train each day, the juice train, a rock train every 3 or so days, plus a lot of locals.

Also to the south is rockport yard which handles classification and stationing of all the export phosphate trains. The phosphate trains go through yeoman yard on the "bypass" and can be seen several times a day, mostly empties run at night and loads during the day, but that is not always the case.

To the east is Winston Yard, which was the ACL's main phosphate classification yard and freight yard after lakeland yard closed in the early 80's. They handle mainly phosphate trains, but some local freight is handled out of winston as well.

There are "winston turns" from yeoman to winston and "taft turns" which run from yeoman to taft yard in orlando. Occasionally power transfers and empty flatcar trains from yeoman to taft which run as "X" series trains

Yeoman yard is not very accessible, but you can view trains from the east side of the yard off of 78th street and SR60. uceta inbound and outbound trains can be viewed from a grade crossing off of orient road, but its not the best area

Winston yard is mostly inaccessible as is rockport, but you can see trains leaving rockport from the grade crossing at us 41

The busiest time for the yard is early morning and evening.

Afternoons are dead (1-5pm) unless something is running late or you may see a stray phosphate train

The juice train leaves tampa between 10am and 1PM, usually around 11:30, its train number is O823 south of yeoman and K650 once it leaves Yeoman, they change crews at 78th street. Occasionally also the Juice train will leave on the ACL, but not very often.

Unit empty autorack train O702 comes into the yard from the west side around 8-9PM and O700 loaded autorack leaves about 7-9AM

Q652 is an outbound long manifest which leaves in the late evening, Q441 is its inbound counterpart, arrives around 11PM, although lately it has been arriving much later

Q188 and Q189 are outbound/inbound intermodal from tampa to jacksonville, Q188 leaves in early evening, Q189 arrives aroun 10-11PM

Q237 and Q258 are loaded/empty autorack trains from yeomand to Badwin yard in jacksonville Q237 arrives evenings (not daily) and Q258 leaves sometime in the morning

#93294  by David Hutchinson

Wow, thanks. Have relatives in Dunedin and Palm Harbor, so this will be useful info on my next visit. What was the line that used to go through Dunedin? Was there ever a line by Tarpon Springs? Thanks again...

#93370  by crazy_nip

the ACL line through clearwater to st. petersburg went right through downtown dunnedin and tarpon springs. After tarpon springs it turned east and went through the area now known as "trinity". It then paralleled SR 54 for some time from the "tampa bay executive airport" through what WAS "downtown" odessa and then cut slightly north and up through land o lakes crossing the SAL Brooksville subdivision at "drexel". From there it went east towards san antonio to trilby where the line crossed the ACL Jacksonville to Lakeland mainline. Passenger trains broke away at this point (Trilby) and headed north to jacksonville or south to st. pete.

Passenger trains stopped using the ACL Jacksonville to st. pete line via trilby in 1971 when Amtrak took over passenger operations from the SCL. So Dunnedin and Tarpon Springs saw their last passenger train in May 1971.

The line from clearwater to tarpon springs was in service until the mid 80's when a chemical plant closed and the remaining business dried up. East of tarpon springs was abandoned in the early 70's. The SAL had a line from odessa to tarpon springs and on to elfers as well. After the merger, the SAL from tarpon junction through odessa to tarpon springs was abandoned. The remainder of the SAL elfers line was accessed via the forementioned ACL line. The remainder of the elfers ex-sal line was abandoned the same time as the ACL in the mid 80's. Clearwater is now accessed via the SAL line from tampa to st. pete via oldsmar and safety harbor. From clearwater to st. pete is ACL. The SAL line from clearwater to st. pete was abandoned in 1983 and removed in 1984. Most of the lines abandoned during this time still exist as the "pinellas trail". There is even the ex-sal bridge over the anclote river still in use as part of this trail.

#93405  by CSX Conductor

crazy_nip wrote:The juice train leaves tampa between 10am and 1PM, usually around 11:30, its train number is O823 south of yeoman and K650 once it leaves Yeoman, they change crews at 78th street. Occasionally also the Juice train will leave on the ACL, but not very often.

O823 huh? Never heard of an "O" train, is this just because it's the OJ train? lol :P

#93504  by ACLfan

The SAL's Gary Shops were located approximately 2 miles southeast from TN Tower. The Shops were located south of SR 60, and TN Tower is north of SR 60.

Amtrak continued to operate passenger trains through Dunedin, Tarpon Sprigs and Trilby for about a year or so after the takeover of passenger train service from SCL, until they decided to make arrangements with SCL for the use of the former SAL trackage between Clearwater and Tampa.

ACLfan

#93651  by crazy_nip

CSX Conductor wrote:
crazy_nip wrote:The juice train leaves tampa between 10am and 1PM, usually around 11:30, its train number is O823 south of yeoman and K650 once it leaves Yeoman, they change crews at 78th street. Occasionally also the Juice train will leave on the ACL, but not very often.

O823 huh? Never heard of an "O" train, is this just because it's the OJ train? lol :P
O is the prefix for all florida local trains...

most of the phosphate trains are in the O840 and O850 series

the O82x trains are mostly bone valley and palmetto sub locals

#93692  by David Hutchinson

Thanks again for the info... I passed a trail to the west of Alternate 19 to the south of Palm Harbor. Is this the old line that ran out of Dunedin to Tarpon Springs?

#93864  by octr202

crazy_nip wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:

O is the prefix for all florida local trains...

most of the phosphate trains are in the O840 and O850 series

the O82x trains are mostly bone valley and palmetto sub locals
Nip,

Which division/service unit/whatever they call it this week gets the "O" prefix? I thought Florida fell under the Jacksonville (insert division name type here), which was the "A" prefix?

#94078  by crazy_nip

octr202 wrote:Nip,

Which division/service unit/whatever they call it this week gets the "O" prefix? I thought Florida fell under the Jacksonville (insert division name type here), which was the "A" prefix?
the jacksonville division uses the "A" prefix for locals

the florida business unit uses the "O" prefix for locals

locals out of tampa, brooksville, bone valley (winston, mulberry), rockport, bradenton and miami use the O prefix

locals out of orlando, baldwin and jacksonville, wildwood and ocala use the A prefix

there is also an "M" prefix for locals out of talahassee and pensacola, im not sure what division that is now, used to be the mobile division
Last edited by crazy_nip on Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#94079  by crazy_nip

David Hutchinson wrote:Thanks again for the info... I passed a trail to the west of Alternate 19 to the south of Palm Harbor. Is this the old line that ran out of Dunedin to Tarpon Springs?
yes

#94176  by sammy

crazy nip, I was working in Wauchula in Hardee,co last year after hurricane charley, and we worked by some tracks that were pretty worn down. I thaught it was an abandoned line. It looked bad, and it didnt look like the hurricane had anything to do with it. But on the third day I saw a single CSX engine pulling four or five cars headed west. Can you tell me were this line goes and comes from? I cant seem to find it on the map. I believe it was about five miles south of Wauchula. Thanks

#94396  by ACLfan

Sammy, sounds like you were 5 miles west of Wauchula, instead of south.

Years ago, the former ACL line between Bartow and Ft. Myers ran thru Wauchula on a north - south alignment, but it was abandoned between Bowling Green and Arcadia around 25 years or so ago. So, it wasn't that line that you saw, and most of the old roadbed is currently being used for the expansion of U.S. 17 to 4-lanes.

I imagine that you saw CSX's former SAL line between Mulberry and Arcadia. This line is lightly used on the south side of the "Bone Valley" phosphate mining area, with one round-trip daily freight, sometimes reduced to 4 times a week, running on a north - south alignment to Arcadia for interchange work with the Seminole Gulf. The rail and ballast are not in the best shape (10 mph operating speed), but if the train was running west, as you mentioned, then it was probably on a lead track to a phosphate mine or ore processing facility. There are numerous spur lines to phosphate mines and processing facilities throughout the "Bone Valley" phosphate ore mining area. Some of the ore loading and processing facilities are served by multiple trains on a daily basis, and others on a less frequent basis.

A long shot was that you were north of Wauchula, somewhere in the vicinity of Bowling Green. The section of the former ACL line mentioned above is still in service to provide rail service to a group of phosphate processing facilities to the east of Bowling Green (on the east side of the Peace River). However, most of this track is heavily used by long trains of dry rock headed to processing/export in the Tampa area.

Can't say that I was much help, but I'm having to guess where you were at when you saw the train, since the locations of existing rail lines don't match up very well with your geographic location description.

ACLfan

#94467  by sammy

ACLfan, the former SAL line sounds like the one I saw. I was pretty sleep deprived when I saw the train, so theres no telling where I thought I was . :wink: Looking back at the map it seems we were between Wautchula and Arcadia. I remember picking up some lines at a fence post mill, that was ajacent to the track.I saw what looked like an old F-9 on a siding in Parrish. It was green and white and had two letters in the name on the front. The second letter was O I think. I took a picture but it was dark and it didnt take. Any guess on who ouned this engine. Thanks

#94478  by crazy_nip

parrish is home to The Florida Gulf Coast Railroad Museum, they have daily tourist trains which go a few miles up what was once known as the parrish subdivision from palmetto to durant (SAL). The line is more or less still in place but abandoned by csx in the 1980's between somewhere east of palmetto (conrad yelvington) and durant. Part of the line which the FGCRM still uses was donated to them. Apparently occasionally csx sends a train out to a power plant east of parrish when they need a carload (generator), but that track is so overgrown with weeds and rotted ties in places I wouldnt want to be aboard

they have some static engine displays and several old engines, they had an RS2 which I dont know if it runs or not was painted up in SAL colors. Think they use a GP7 or GP9 for the tourist train