Railroad Forums 

• CSX Dark Future Blue (Floquil) discontinued??

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1053701  by Notch-8

Hi, everyone! I had ordered some Floquil CSX gold and dark future blue paints one week ago from my LHS. I picked up the gold today, but I was told that the blue was discontinued. I was just wondering why they would discontinue the blue, but not the gold, as they go hand in hand. Doesn't make much sense to me. Any thoughts?
 #1054173  by Backshophoss

Have you checked out the poly-scale paint line,or try to match it to any of the miltary paints out there?
Testor's manufactures Floquil,Poly-scale,and Model Master paints for RR and Miltary models.
Scale-coat and Accu-paint might have a match possibly.
Ask your local Hobby shop to check out the Testor's/Floquil website for the closest match possible.
 #1054262  by Notch-8

Thanks for the information!! I checked the Testor's website, and it looks like the dark future (New Image) blue IS still available. I don't know what my LHS's sources are (probably Walthers only, which explains a lot), but I am going to order it directly from Testors. It seems to me that in recent years, if I want anything as far as super-detailing parts or paint and supplies, I have had to order it directly from the manufacturer in order to avoid lengthly back orders or discontinuance of an item that has not actually been discontinued. Normally, mixing and matching paints to obtain the correct color has not been a problem for me, except now I live in an apartment and my wife does not appreciate the paint fumes. I have never had much luck with the water-based paints, like poly-scale. I just can't seem to get the finish I want. I sure wish Scalecoat II was still around! Again, I really appreciate the advice!