Railroad Forums 

• CSX AC6000s doing yard switcher duty in Maine

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#83154  by MEC407

This came in on the NERAIL discussion group this morning. What a hoot! (literally) :wink:

Date: Monday, January 03, 2005 00:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: [NERAIL] CSX + Cold + Sleet = Loud

So, BIG power in Rigby tonight to watch, CSX 689 and 671 were there, so of course they were being used as yard switchers (sigh).

Anywho.....early evening, the whistle gets froze open........South Portland 911 Center took over 50 calls wondering if it was a derailment, or an air raid, or one person asked if it was a tsunami warning (sad). A few callers in Portland even called. The weather helped carry the sound to callers almost 3 miles away. I thought it sounded great, but that was just my opinion.

After about 10 minutes or more, peace was restored to the frozen neighborhood.

Robotom.

#83171  by CSX Conductor

And how many local residents called down to Jax instead of Billerica? LOL :P

#83270  by railohio

Norfolk Southern is rather fond of using C40-9W's on locals here in northwest Ohio. I don't think they've found a use for those engines they don't like yet...

#83271  by AmtrakFan

Weird having AC6000CW in Yard Duty. Hey for that matter I rarley see them on the BNSF.
John

#83326  by CSX Conductor

AmtrakFan wrote:Weird having AC6000CW in Yard Duty.
A few weeks ago one was used in Beacon Park Yard on the switcher, not sure what happened to the GP40-2. Saw that happen a few years ago while the 4 axle was in the engine house for servicing.

#83656  by ACLfan

Hey! It's just CSX's way of expressing the term "Diversity In Motion"!

A little yard duty here, a mine run there, a local peddler down south, and a snow pusher job up north! And, if we're lucky, a hotshot intermodal assignment on the U.P!

What a great railroad this is!

ACLfan

#84952  by CSX Conductor

Yeah, what was with all the 'southern' power that floated up to the Northeast over the last few months?!? Lots of old GPs in very very faded paint, low #'d AC's which do no good on the B&A because no cab signals. etc.

#84981  by trainfreak

NS always seems to use high powered locomotives for locals around here. I always wonder why though cuase i just see high powered locomotives like SD70's as being road units lugging trains over steep grades.

#85692  by Tadman

And then there's the ex-NYC main through south bend here, where they use six high-short-hood geeps to lug intermodals... NS really puzzles me.

#86345  by mu26aeh

Was in Hagerstown, MD this morning and watched a 2000 series GP and a SD-70 doing yard duty then went out on a local with a car of lumber as it's only freight.

#87824  by SRS125

I've seen the them moster 6 axle locos doing yard work befor under Conrail and with CSX in DeWitt Yard in Syracuse, NY. SD40's, C30-7A's, SD60's, SD50's AC4400CW's, C40-8's and so forth. I think they just kind of use what ever is avalable in the yard according to the number of cars they need to push and pull to make or break a train.

#102190  by NaugMOW

Does anyone find it interesting that we have not heard of any CSX run-throughs since this happened? I remember saying on one forum that I bet CSX appreciates their expensive road power being used for yard work when other power is available. I could be wrong but I haven't heard anything on the boards or scanner about CSX units on SEPO or RURJ since this was brought up. If I remember correctly, the former policy was that CSX power was not supposed to go north of Lowell. It kind of seems lately that it is back to this policy.

#102334  by CSX Conductor

Sounds like they are keeping the GPS turned-on all the time now. haha
 #102379  by paulrail

As one Guilford employee put it on another forum,....."the policy hasn't changed,...........just the enforcement." :wink:

Paul