Railroad Forums 

• Crossing signals mimic swinging red lantern!

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#290296  by Robert Gift

A RR puzzle:

Why do "mee-mool" lights (o)=(o) flash back and forth?

It's not justo attract attention or for visibility.
There is another reason!
Last edited by Robert Gift on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

#290388  by U-Haul

If I understand your question. That is done so they are easier to see.
http://mc.net/hyden/images/crossarm.gif
Steve Irwin
February 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006

#290485  by JLJ061

That would be my guess too. Generally flashing lights get your attention faster than say, a solid light.

#290585  by ENR3870

I can't remember where I heard this, or if its true or not, but they flash alternately like that to mimic the wigwags that would swing back and forth.

#290601  by keotaman

Sounds right to me. They "jump" back & forth, sort of like a person swinging a torch or lantern back & forth as a warning not to proceed. The light bars on police cruisers have the same effect, left-to-right motion.

#290622  by Robert Gift

YES!

To mimic the crossinguard's red lantern swinging right and left.

The Magnetic Flagman company produced electric "wig-wag" signals.

The wigwag had a few faults:
If either of the electromagnet coils fails, the signal's paddle will not swing and bell will not ring.
The swinging paddle causes a lever to move a clapper to sound the bell athend of each swing.

Also, the double-sided red lens in the middle of the paddle allowsunlight
from behind to shine righthrough.

There are three wigwags in use at private RXR crossings on the line between Goleta and Oxnard, CA.

I have never seen a wigwag signal mentioned in any drivers manuals!