Railroad Forums 

• Crossing gates

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#124372  by TerryC

I have read about and seen people driving around crossing gates on numerous occasions. Would it be possible to install a stronger motor and have longer crossing gates? The idea is to have the gate go all the way across the road. To support the gate if necessary, a hinged post could be at the end that lowers as the gate lowers. That way the gate is being supported and not sagging.

keep asking keep learning
05-05-05

#124387  by emd_SD_60

That was what I was thinking also, a longer crossing gate arm that extends the width of the entire roadway just might stop those idiots from going around. :wink: I think over in Marion where the BNSF crosses Route 13 (a 4-lane highway throughout town) they have this. Also where the UP crosses the same highway further east it has extra width gates too.

#124458  by SRS125

Maine street in Port Byron had a little rod attached to the gates on a temporay term when the gates were extended. The idea was simple but proved to be more of a problum and the gates were shortened back to there normal 6 foot reach.

What could be done is 4 gates at one crossing that drop to prevent people from driveing around them. Or how about a fence type crossing much like the ones used in europe were a long gate or fence rolls out on wheels and blocks the crossing till the train clears.