Railroad Forums 

• Crew bases on the Southern Tier?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#47114  by Pj

I don't know if that's the right subject...but...

If I worked for the NS/NYSW and lived in Port Jervis, where would I would I be reporting for work?

#47122  by dtravisjr

Well, NS runs a local out of Campbell Hall, So I suppose that is probably where you could end up. Though Im not totally sure on that. As for the NYSW, Binghamton is where they base the crews for the SU trains.

#47187  by trainfreak

Also since Port Jervis is not to far from Little Ferry NJ (about an hour twenty minute drive i think) there is also a local base for the NYSW there and one SU crew that works out of New Jersey i think.

#47289  by nysw3636

No crew base at Port Jervis for the NYS&W. Most, if not all, NYS&W Northern Division employees are qualified for SU-100/SU-99 road trains over the NS Southern Tier from Binghamton to Hudson Junction, NS Hudson Secondary Track and the NYS&W Southern Division. Only a handful are qualified from the NYS&W Southern Division to run west of Port Jervis, but more are qualified for the run east of Port Jervis. Quite possibly what trainfreak is thinking of are road trains outlawing at Port Jervis awaiting crews? Eastbounds will use a Southern Division crew(WS-?), and a westbound will use a Northern Division crew(BH-?). As for NS crew bases along the Tier, Campbell Hall, Binghamton, and Gang Mills I believe...

ASD

#47332  by trainfreak

Yeah its common to hear the eastbounds change crews because instead of being called SU100 they will usually be WSX or WS then a number signifing which local crew is taxied up to the train.

#47421  by cjvrr

NS crews are based out of Croxton(NJ), Campbell Hall (local crews) and Binghamton. Since NS does not run through trains on the Tier all three locations are used to crew a train. The local based out of Campbell Hall does run west to Narrowsburg sometimes to drop cars for the local from Binghamton to pick up or vice versa.

Years ago CR based some crews out of Port Jervis for the road trains to and from Binghamton and Croxton. When through trains ran the Tier a crew from Croxton would take the train to Port and then another crew to Binghamton. CR changed the re-crew locations several times with Port Jervis being closed and reopened and Binghamton being closed then reopened, etc. When Port Jervis was closed the road crews were based in Croxton and Binghamton. When Binghamton was closed the crews were based in Port and I think Elmira.

I would expect if you were a new hire on NS they would train you and base you out of Croxton, thats the big NS yard in the NY metro area. Not sure though, poster RCBSD45 may be able to help more.

Chris