• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Lined and Locked normal 3:44 PM. Clear to proceed Westbound.
  by R&DB

Gary;
Seems a bit of a hike to get to the wye.
Yeh, but when PRR had the yard they had to go to South Amboy or Jamesburg! And it was catenary.
  by Bracdude181

Clear of BANK interlocking on the Southern Secondary 4:28 PM
  by Tanker1497

[/quote]
Lead engine in each direction must have PTC. There is no way to turn the engines on the Southern Secondary.
[/quote]
But that doesn't mean both engines need to be PTC on a Southern run. The engines can easily run around each other at numerous places before going back to Red Bank. It would be an extra move, but with the limited power at Browns it could happen.
  by R&DB

#1566905 by Tanker1497
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm
Point taken, I had not thought of that. Cross Street, Lakewood & Red Bank Yard have run-arounds, but now that I think about it, this could be done at stub end sidings as well.
  by GSC

Looking at Google Maps (the map, not the satellite view) there are five sidings shown between Farmingdale and Lakehurst. Are the four not in use (Woodhaven's is in use) still connected to the Southern, or switches and track removed? There used to be a siding just south of the Farmingdale junction, just past Preventorium Road. Is that still there? It isn't on the map.
  by R&DB

GSC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:16 pm Looking at Google Maps (the map, not the satellite view) there are five sidings shown between Farmingdale and Lakehurst. Are the four not in use (Woodhaven's is in use) still connected to the Southern, or switches and track removed? There used to be a siding just south of the Farmingdale junction, just past Preventorium Road. Is that still there? It isn't on the map.
Farmingdale siding by Marl Rd crossing is gone. The Lakehurst siding is unreachable as the End Of Track is South of the Cross St. siding in South Lakewood near Esti Circle.
  by Bracdude181

@R&DB The Marl Rd siding is still there but it is completely unusable, and would likely need to be replaced if they need a siding there.
  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:26 pm @R&DB The Marl Rd siding is still there but it is completely unusable, and would likely need to be replaced if they need a siding there.
I hadn't seen it in years, assumed it had been removed. So it's just buried?

EDIT: Yup, you're right, and it's about 2600' long. CR probably would like to have that at Cross St.
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

How many cars on 31 tonight? Also any 38?
  by Bracdude181

Approaching Maxim Southard Rd 8:39 PM
  by Bracdude181

The alerter in 4405 broke so 4432 will lead SA38. They left Cross Street bound for Woodhaven around 10:52 PM.
  by Bracdude181

Whilst searching through the STB website for information on Conrail, I found an interesting piece of information from this filing in 2018:

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... /46539.pdf

“NJ Transit explains that operations on the Line (and other lines not part of this transaction) are already governed by a 1984 Trackage Rights Agreement between NJ Transit, New Jersey Transit Rail Operations, Inc.,3 and Conrail. (Notice 1-2.)4 Accompanying its verified notice of exemption, NJ Transit filed excerpts from the 1984 Trackage Rights Agreement; the Ninth Supplemental Agreement to the Trackage Rights Agreement; the Agreement of Sale between Conrail and NJ Transit; and the Quitclaim Deed between Conrail and NJ Transit. The Quitclaim Deed transfers Conrail’s interests in the tracks, land, and other rail property of the Line to NJ Transit, but reserves to Conrail a permanent, perpetual, exclusive, transferable, and irrevocable easement to operate freight service on the Line.
(Mot. 2; Notice, Ex. 5.) The Ninth Supplemental Agreement references and modifies the 1984 Trackage Rights Agreement, which will continue to govern the operating rights of NJ Transit and Conrail.“

Would anyone happen to know what that’s about and what lines are mentioned in this deal? I’m still looking around for anything else on this as for me at least it’s very interesting information.
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:Whilst searching through the STB website for information on Conrail, I found an interesting piece of information from this filing in 2018:

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... /46539.pdf

“NJ Transit explains that operations on the Line (and other lines not part of this transaction) are already governed by a 1984 Trackage Rights Agreement between NJ Transit, New Jersey Transit Rail Operations, Inc.,3 and Conrail. (Notice 1-2.)4 Accompanying its verified notice of exemption, NJ Transit filed excerpts from the 1984 Trackage Rights Agreement; the Ninth Supplemental Agreement to the Trackage Rights Agreement; the Agreement of Sale between Conrail and NJ Transit; and the Quitclaim Deed between Conrail and NJ Transit. The Quitclaim Deed transfers Conrail’s interests in the tracks, land, and other rail property of the Line to NJ Transit, but reserves to Conrail a permanent, perpetual, exclusive, transferable, and irrevocable easement to operate freight service on the Line.
(Mot. 2; Notice, Ex. 5.) The Ninth Supplemental Agreement references and modifies the 1984 Trackage Rights Agreement, which will continue to govern the operating rights of NJ Transit and Conrail.“

Would anyone happen to know what that’s about and what lines are mentioned in this deal? I’m still looking around for anything else on this as for me at least it’s very interesting information.
This was for the CR Delco Industrial track located south/west of County Yard in New Brunswick. NJT is building a new yard and eventually a loop. To do this some changes needed to be made to the 1984 CR/NJT Trackage Rights Agreement, as I believe the Delco was not originally part of it. The Delco is now NJT owned and Conrail has a freight easement on it. The Agreement covers various line in and around NJ and lays out who is responsible for what services.