• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by nick11a

jimzim66 wrote:Correction: If i were an out of revenue low level Comet I in ocean county, where would I be? :P

Haha you think youre so funny.
I don't get it. Are you dissing yourself?

by sixty-six

no nick, at least that wasnt my intention. ha.

i was trying to shoot down Mikes comment, guess i failed at that. :-D

by Jtgshu

SA31 ran today, cleared up going down the Southern at about 415pm or so. that must be a new thing, where the Coast Line dispatcher is asking the freight to report clear and heading west down the Southern Sec......

by OCtrainguy

Jtgshu wrote:SA31 ran today, cleared up going down the Southern at about 415pm or so.
Thanks for the update. The SA31 is laying over in Lakehurst this morning. Motive power is NS GP40-2 3045 in the "horse head" paint. I could not get a car count.
  by 1st Barnegat

OCtrainguy wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:SA31 ran today [Sunday], cleared up going down the Southern at about 415pm or so.
Thanks for the update. The SA31 is laying over in Lakehurst this morning [Monday]. Motive power is NS GP40-2 3045 in the "horse head" paint. I could not get a car count.
As of 6:00PM Monday, the freight car count was zero. There was only the lone NS 3045 shut down, long hood facing south.

The passenger car count was also zero - no sign of the wayward comet 1s reported by this post:
OCtrainguy wrote:"... the SA31 was running this evening [Sep 20] ... the most interesting part of the train was the two ex-NJT coaches at the end of the train."
Comet 1s on the Southern Secondary! - what a concept! They weren't at DiNaso in Lakewood Friday evening either.

by RRSpike

As of noon on Tuesday the above mentioned NS #3045 (GP40-2) was still sitting at Lakehurst. There were a few cars parked up the line, though. Couldn't tell if any of them were coaches. I checked the tracks at the Ridgeway Boulevard crossing (the one that leads to the Navy base) and they were well rusted with weeds growing over the rails and no flange ruts. If there are coaches are on the Southern Secondary they were never on the spur to the Navy base.

by CTL10D

Hey everyone-

I finally got around to getting my own account. Some of you may remember me as Blowdawhistle46. I used to live in Lakewood, 2 blocks from the southern.Now I live in Manchester. so I catch the 31 in Lakehurst quite often.
THE NJT coach mystery is solved!!!! Drove past the navy base tonight on the way to get ice cream in lakehurst, and lo and behold the 2 NJT cars were parked on the spur inside the NAES Lakehurst fence. They must have been tucked away on the curve on the lead to the base for the last week, and delivered by 3045 tonight Me and a friend of mine walked down the TRIT last saturday, so they definitley werent around that curve. Now the question is, since the spur ends just inside the base, what do they plan on doing with them? Take care guys -Chris

by sixty-six

Can you see them from 547? Someone has to try and get pictures. I so want to go and look now.

by Jtgshu

Maybe its NJT is sending them down there to get the locals used to seeing those kind of coaches down there for future MOM service!!!

They should park them in South Brunswick - hahaha

by sixty-six

low level C1s for the MOM line?

i think not! i will not allow it! ha :P (we all know im partial the the Vs and the IVs)

i think we may see bilevels here, given the large amount of commuters in these areas.

by RRSpike

RRSpike wrote:If there are coaches are on the Southern Secondary they were never on the spur to the Navy base.
If they WERE on the Navy base spur all this time, then CTL10D must have been right saying:
CTL10D wrote:They must have been tucked away on the curve on the lead to the base for the last week...
Glad they've been found!

by Jtgshu

SA 31 is heading down teh Southern Sec at this moment..........

should be around tinton falls/clayton/rt18 by now.

by CTL10D

Followed the SA-31 tonight from Miller Road in Howell, all the way to Lakehurst where they ran around the train and headed north. Power was NS GP40-2 3045, with about 10 or 11 cars.
Wow those pics Nick found from Farmingdale look unreal. The restaurant behind the cars is Woody`s, and my friends and I have hung out right in back there (while waiting for our food) so many times. I never thought I`d see that roll by there! Take care. -Chris

by OCtrainguy

So, if they already ran around the train and headed back north tonight, I wonder how far they'll get...

As a side note, a me and a friend of mine were in Philly recently as saw CSX GP40-2 4441 at Conrail's Ann Street Facility. As soon as we saw what engine it was, we said to each other "let them keep it out there". Glad to see some of the NS GP40-2s for a change.