• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

Oh yea, I passed a train today about 4pm around Hazlet - couldn't see the cars or engine or anything, but i know we did pass a freight heading west

by OCtrainguy

jimzim66 wrote:Where were the last C1s seen on the SS?
They were last seen in Lakehurst.

by MJW

OCtrainguy wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:Where were the last C1s seen on the SS?
They were last seen in Lakehurst.
I wonder where they went. On Tuesday they were seen in Lakehurst and on Wednesday they were no where to be found. Could they have dumped them out on the Toms River industrial track?

by sixty-six

Intersting thought, yet why would the TRIT be a dumping point for these cars? I dont think theres anything of interest there.

by njt4172

jimzim66 wrote:Intersting thought, yet why would the TRIT be a dumping point for these cars? I dont think theres anything of interest there.
They might have been shipped down to Tuckahoe by truck for the Cape May Seashore line service...Anyone ever think of that???

Steve

by Ken W2KB

Trucking would be a lot more expensive than rail all the way I would think.

by nick11a

Ken W2KB wrote:Trucking would be a lot more expensive than rail all the way I would think.
I would certainly think rail all the way would be a lot less expensive. NJT-Newark crews-Metuchen crews-Frankford Junction crews and then get it from there somehow to the CMSL.

by OCtrainguy

Perhaps they were moved within the base. The former Blue Comet observation car that was in South Plainfield was moved to Tuckahoe via truck. Perhaps the coaches were moved somewhere else by truck after being dropped off by the SA31.

Just a theory....

by MJW

From what I saw the rails to the base have not seen any activity in a long time. The crossing before the base has alot of light brush all over the tracks that did not look disturbed.

With the weekend here I'm sure someone here will go and find them.

by sixty-six

hmm, if i were a low level comet 1 car, where would i be?

by njtmnrrbuff

Do freights ever pass through Perth Amboy on Sunday's. I might be there next Sunday. I would be coming by train but I will spend most of my time walking around the city with my aunt.

by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Do freights ever pass through Perth Amboy on Sunday's. I might be there next Sunday. I would be coming by train but I will spend most of my time walking around the city with my aunt.
Yes, I do see freight passing through Perth Amboy on Sundays sometimes. I know there is definitely one for Saturday (the SA42) and I see the SA42 sometimes on Sunday as well. Not sure if it is scheduled to run though on Sundays. If it does run, usually it passes through going west around 10ish to 1ish or so.

by sullivan1985

jimzim66 wrote:hmm, if i were a low level comet 1 car, where would i be?
Still in service for the next 30 years on the Hoboken Division. :-)

by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:hmm, if i were a low level comet 1 car, where would i be?
Still in service for the next 30 years on the Hoboken Division. :-)
Oh, I wish Mike, I wish.... :P

by sixty-six

Correction: If i were an out of revenue low level Comet I in ocean county, where would I be? :P

Haha you think youre so funny.