• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by R&DB

Gary, right on everything. Additionally the H16-44s were also called Baby Trainmasters, it's just F-M upped the power to 1600HP so there was a designation change in their model number. I also remember these beasts (as well as their larger siblings, the H24-66) hauling commuters on the NY&LB. The CNJ gradually phased them out due to the difficult servicing of the opposed piston engines.
Some of the last RS-3s were also 1600HP but CNJ did not want to add a 1600 series of numbering.
  by Bracdude181

Regarding the earlier posts of Freehold Cartage and zoning, here’s the Freehold zoning map. Looks like the industrial zones are at the east end of town with the railroad cutting right through the middle.

https://twp.freehold.nj.us/assets/files/Maps/zoning.pdf

Wouldn’t this mean FC could have a siding built?
  by Bracdude181

Haven’t heard anything on SA31 yet. I don’t know about you guys but I’m hoping for an SA91 tomorrow. Would be nice to see that for once.
  by Bracdude181

Nevermind. Clear of bank interlocking on the Southern Secondary 3:53 PM
  by RailsEast

CSX 4405, CSX 6228 with 17 lumber, Eatontown at 4:10 in the pm.
  by Bracdude181

6228? Nice! Gotta see this train when it goes back!
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bracdude181

Picking up the EOTD at Extech, they will be here soon.
  by Bracdude181

Asbury Rd at 5:40 PM
  by Bracdude181

There is an extremely loud hissing noise coming from the back of 4405...
  by Bracdude181

Approaching Farmingdale 7:24 PM
  by Bracdude181

Approaching Squankum Rd 8:00 PM

A bucket excavator is parked near the tracks in preparation for the crossing rebuild starting next Tuesday.
  by Bracdude181

Through Downtown Lakewood 8:15 PM
  by Bracdude181

4405 is still making the hissing noise. I’m no expert but i guess a valve is broken somewhere? Whatever this noise is, it’s louder than the prime mover...
  by RailsEast

4405 was very silent through Shrewsbury this afternoon. Maybe a gladhand leak, but if it was that loud, the train would have gone into emergency once or twice.
  by Bracdude181

@RailsEast The noise comes and goes but whenever it starts it goes on for quite some time. The longest I heard it go on for was around 20 minutes. Not sure if the leak is in the glad hands, as the noise is coming from the rear of the engine close to the truck. Will try to pull the footage from my cameras SD card and post it tomorrow.

Also, did you smell anything burning? This engine usually has a very bad burning smell accompanying it. Did that when I saw it in Bound Brook over the summer, just days before that big flood.