Railroad Forums 

• CP has purchased 40 additional retired UP SD9043MAC locomotives

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1563209  by JayBee

CP has purchased 40 additional SD9043MAC locomotives that UP finally retired last month after a number of years in storage. Logically this means another batch of SD70ACU locomotives will be converted. No word on if all will be upgraded or if a few will be used for parts.
 #1563436  by CN9634

They will all be rebuild by Progress to SD70ACus, no timeline but I saw a list of all the numbers, moving under CP marks with the old UP number in the coming days/weeks. Concurrently GE has at least a dozen AC44s for rebuild, so CP is ramping up to take on new business coming online (think Maersk, autos, CMQ, ect) and two builders gets them faster. My understanding too is the initial order for 60 had an option for more using UP locos as fodder, so this is just an extension of that.
 #1565887  by Engineer Spike

Iv'e been noticing that among the AC44 fleet, the 5800 class is about the oldest class so far not sent in for rebuilding. I'm sure that CP will in time rebuild them all. It is a good method to upgrade the fleet. The rebuilt units will be able to be grandfathered to the emissions standards of their original build dates, yet they will essentially be new.

Speaking specifically of the EMD rebuilds, I'm a fan. They are much more comfortable to run. The cabs are much quieter, the isolated cabs make them ride better too. I like the fact that they don't have the cheap plastic wall panels inside the cabs, like GE uses. They never hold up, and the textured surface make them hold not the dust and dirt.