Railroad Forums 

• CP Burn and area.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#258354  by hazmatmess

I am up in the Bethlehem area this weekend for my diving practical. I have Saturday afternoon to myself. Is CP B urn still popular to railfan? Last time I was there was about 10 years ago. But still found out how to get there from Hanover St. And are the bridges near the steel mill still a good place for railfanning? Also from CP burn, how do you get to the yard and hump? I remember a road near there and was trying to find it but forgot which side streets to go down and it was dark. I really didn't feel like getting lost. Any info is VERY appreciated and any addition info is always welcomed. Are Saturday's good for the area. What about Sunday's? I will be checking this again tomorrow after the dives. Thanks in advance.
Tim

#258468  by metman499

To get to the hump head from Burn towards Bethlehem on Hanover Ave. You will cross over the CNJ main on a bridge. A few blocks later Hanover curves to the left at a traffic intersection of three roads. Another goes straight. You will want the right turn there. Take this road to the end and turn left. The yard will be on your right. In the late afternoon (3-4 PM) the PB&NE will usually bring the Roadrailer to just before the bridge closest to the Blast Furnaces. NS power will be there waiting and they usually leave an hour or so later. The light isn't the best there in the afternoon but what can you do about it.

#258708  by hazmatmess

Thanks for the info Nick. Found the hump. Got there about 4pm. Nothing going on, went to CP Burn and waited about till about 5pm, nothing. Went to CP Beth on the other side of the bridge. Got to see kids jumping off the bridge, a high rail car chase them off the bridge and that was it for moving action. Went to CP JU and saw 3 NS locos and a BNSF warbonet, the usual one in thats been on the rails in this area (NY, NJ, PA). The one with the faded nose. So it kind of made the day cause that is my first red and silver war bonet. Anyway, will be up in this area more times for diving and railfanning. Take care.
Tim