Railroad Forums 

• Corning Secondary sold by NS?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#867  by bwparker1

This mesage came from a Conrail Yahoo Groups List, I tried to search the STB website for some sort of filing notice but I couldn't find anything. Would NS have to file if they sold to FLGK ot another operator. I am slightly skeptical.

Brooks

Hay All 25 miles of the Corning Secondary were sold under an
undisclosed sale price to a New Operator chatter is still under
going between Norfolk Southern and the Finger Lakes Railway on
adding some Improvments to the line. The FGLK has beening runing
under Trackages Rights sents Augest 1995 to Him Rod JCT. NS
Questioned weatherthe FGLK Could hadle the Dresden Power Plant in
Dresden, NY after the sale in completed. At this time the FGLK
Rostor stands at this:
1701 GP-9u Ex SP/SSW Active
1702 GP-9u Ex MILW In PA for Repairs?
1703 GP-9u Ex MILW Active
1751 GP-9 Ex B&P Exx CSX, Exxx C&O Active
1801 GP-10 Ex IC/ICG/B&O Active
1355 GP-40 Ex NS/N&W on Lease from BDLX
1989 B23-7 Ex Conrail 1989 aq-2002 Active
2300 B23-7 Ex Norfolk Southern Active
2301 B23-7 Ex Conrail 1979 Active
2303 B23-7 Ex Conrail 2004 Active
2304 B23-7 Ex Norfolk Southern Active
As of now NS has sunk loads of money into the line and is now
preping up chatter of selling off the whole Southern Tier Line sofar
CP Rail has expressed a big Intrest in the former Conrail Line.

Brendan

#883  by nessman

I for one hate these railfan rumors. This particular rumor has been around since NS bought the line from Conrail. Same with the longstanding rumor that NS is looking to offload the Southern Tier to CP or the BPRR/RSR.

But for starters, if this were to happen, NS would likely lease (not sell) the line to the FGLK and maintain trackage rights to continue to haul coal to Dresden. FGLK would likely take over maintenance of the line.

Unit coal = big money for the class 1's. Sure, NS would pay FGLK to haul the coal to Dresden, but NS no longer has to worry about the expense maintaining signals, crossings, track, etc.

Surely a shot in the arm for the FGLK and a big savings for NS IF this were to happen.

But until then - unless someone's ready to quote chapter and verse from the STB or Mike Smith - then it's still purely speculation.
Last edited by nessman on Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#886  by brianpwestgate

Who knows? Maybe they have agreed to a lease/sale? They have to do that before Finger Lakes files with the STB to take over the Corning. Of course until that filing, you are right, it is pure speculation.
BPW

#887  by nessman

Oh - and I'm especially wary of rumors from people with poor spelling. Considering the source of the rumor is usually a good indicator.

#1094  by roadster

Over trhe past 2 years the Finger Lakes Railway guys that comeup to Lyons to Interchange with CSX have told us this very thing was being negociated. NS was only concerned with keeping the Dresdon south to Corning section for the coal traffic. The Finger Lakes would get the rest.
very interesting

#1309  by joshuahouse

I assume that FGLK pays to access the part of the Corning Secondary that they run on now. So if they were to enter into this lease, they would be paying the section that they would need to run on in order to reach Himrod Jct. for their Penn Yan and Watkins Glen lines. So the question becomes, would it be more cost effective to lease a section of line they pay to use anyway, which has no traffic on it other then thru traffic to and from them any way.
 #1762  by bwparker1

This came from the original sender. I would agree with Les that this is pure speculation on his part re: the deal of NS selling it off. Time will tell...
At leased 25 Miles of the corning sec were sold It beleved that they
will get from Geneva to Him Rod Jct that would give them a stong
hold on the Dresden Power Plant with coal traffic. NS for the most
part would most likley still drop cars off with the FGLK in Geneva
Yard. Such a Sale like Lyons to Him Rod JCT being sold off would be
the best thing that NS did any ways. After all why waste time
sending a Signal Manintainer 40 or 50 miles out of the way from
Gangmills to Alloway or Geneva to fix a crossing gate when a real
problum occures on the southern tier. When Finger Lakes crews could
do the work after all Finger Lakes pays NO PROPERTY TAXES sents the
Countys own the tracks and Pay the railroad to operate and maintain
the system. After all it would make sents for NS to Sell the 25
miles worth why bother keeping something that you would have to pay
taxes on when it hardley sees use to begin with.

As far as the Southern Tier gos NS wants out of NY one the taxes and
two there hurting for money so bad that a fast sale would look good
right about now while the lookers are still looken. It would be a
hard call as to a buyer after all CP Rail, LA&L, NYS&W, and a few
outhers have there eyes on it.

#1777  by brianpwestgate

In agreement with Mr. Wilson, the horrible spelling/grammar makes the reprinted post less credible, though we would like to believe it.
Does Finger Lakes already own Geneva-Lyons? Is HimRod Jct. where Finger Lakes accesses the PRR line?
BPW

#1843  by DutchRailnut

I can find no reference to the Corning Secondary or FLGX in STB site.
the original poster is a bit off as far as taxes, NY revised their tax laws for the Railroads about two years ago and a tax relief bill was signed.
for anyone wanting to do their own search be my guest but I only come up with old stuff from Conrail to NS time.
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/Readin ... lyReleases
 #1959  by bwparker1

Brian,

NS currently owns all the way to Lyons, although FLGK provides all service north of Geneva. Himrod is where the FGLK acesses the old PRR Sodus Line that runs to Penn Yan and Watkins Glen. DOes the FLGK run south of Himrod???

Brooks

#1965  by nessman

Are there any customers on the Corning Secondary between Himrod and Corning?

#2704  by videobruce

nessman wrote:Oh - and I'm especially wary of rumors from people with poor spelling. Considering the source of the rumor is usually a good indicator.
You should work for the railroad and really hear all the rumors if you think this is bad, spelling or not!!
 #2728  by CPSD40-2

I live in Geneva and have heard this ongoing since the Conrail split. I agree with the rest of you, only the STB will tell when and if it really happens.

If I remember right, there is a customer or two south of Himrod, I think in Dundee I saw a siding with a tankcar on it, and maybe a propane dealer? Thats about it. NS probably just tacks those onto the local running up to Geneva, which I hear 4 - 5 times a week in the late night hours.