Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1562701  by b&m 1566

The railroad operates too many trains to safely operate railbike tours on sections of track that are part of their regular excursions. If the railroad ever decides to offer up this kind of service, I think the Redstone Branch would make the most sense, trains don't regularly go down it, it offers up some of the best scenery they have to offer, along side Pudding Pond and the grade doesn't seem all that bad. If (and I mean if) the wanted to offer different length tours, they could probably work out a lease with the state to go further east, just for the railbikes. Aside for cutting back the brush east of the Saco River bridge, there would be little to no track maintenance required.
 #1563324  by b&m 1566

Are they planning to operate Ski Trains through March? I though they were going right through the end of March but I just noticed on their website, there is no schedules showing beyond February; I know Covid also has them planning out the schedule in small chunks.
 #1567753  by b&m 1566

Still no schedule listed on their website for the 2021 season, I expect there still planning things on the fly due to Covid, however the resent article written in the Conway Daily Sun shed some light. Only Weekend departures are scheduled for April and May, no weekday April vacation departures planned and no weekday departures planned for May (RDC season). One thing that stood out in the article was Notch train excursions will resume at the end of May! It look like we are finally going to have Notch Train (excuse me Mountaineer) excursions for Memorial Day Weekend.
 #1570953  by BM1566GP7

Conway Scenic is running a photo freight on May 22nd. Limited ticketing. Details below.

Take a ride on our photo freight! One day only! Limited availability. Read on for details:

Join Conway Scenic for our annual Railfan photographer's freight. This will board at our North Conway Station at 9 am on May 22, 2021 and make a leisurely journey over the railroad to recreate the experience of a local freight train. The trip has no set schedule but may run for about 6 hours.There will be opportunities to make photographs of the train at various locations along the journey. We have up to 8 spaces for photographers to stand in our vintage caboose, and up to 20 seats in a rider coach. Please book soon as possible since this is a limited capacity event.
Phone: 603-356-5251 The freight's destination, plus its consist will be revealed on the morning of the trip. We will haul the train with one of our vintage diesels.
 #1571641  by S1f3432

SLR lifted ST72 and 19 cars at Danville Jct. this morning.
Attachments:
20210518_DSC0463_ST72_HotelRd_AuburnME.jpg
20210518_DSC0463_ST72_HotelRd_AuburnME.jpg (408.05 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
20210518_DSC0461_SLR3008_ST72_HotelRd_AuburnME.jpg
20210518_DSC0461_SLR3008_ST72_HotelRd_AuburnME.jpg (392.01 KiB) Viewed 2194 times
 #1571663  by b&m 1566

According to the April 2021 Wheel Report, there will be regular runs to Sawyers River on the mid-day departures this year. I wonder if this Conway, Sawyer's, Conway (assuming that's what it will look like), will be the new normal going forward for the Valley Train departures or if they plan to resume the old Conway, Bartlett, Conway Bartlett, Conway departures at some point.
 #1572845  by CSRR573

So reading through some Facebook comments, it seems like the FRA has sidelined 7470 all this year due to some major issues. Does anyone have anymore info on this?