Railroad Forums 

• Continuously Operating Streetcars

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#737491  by GulfRail

I'm trying to compile a list of cities that never eliminated their street cars, and let them evolve into LRT routes. I think I know of a few, but I think I'm missing some. Remember: While some (or many) lines were abandoned, trolley operation never completely ceased.

San Francisco
Pittsburgh
Newark
Toronto
Boston
Philadelphia
New Orleans

This list does not include cities like New York, Chicago, Cleveland and Washington, D.C. that discontinued streetcar service, while simultaneously operating or building a new rail system.
This also does not include cities like Dallas, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Los Angeles, San Diego, St. Louis, Baltimore or Buffalo who discontinued trolley service, and years later, installed a new commuter, light rail or subway system as a result of congestion or projected growth.
 #737498  by jtbell

I think Cleveland deserves at least an asterisk. Most of the Shaker Heights "boulevard" sections of the current Green and Blue Lines were originally built about 1913-1915, and operated over previously existing streetcar lines to reach downtown Cleveland until the "rapid transit" section reached the Terminal Tower in 1930. Even after that, the Shaker Heights lines used streetcar-type equipment (PCCs) until the 1980s.

Otherwise, you've got them all. El Paso was the last city in the US and Canada to abandon streetcar service completely, in 1974.
 #737722  by polybalt

If you go outside thw U.S. to include Toronto in Canada, you should add Mexico City in Mexico. I think the Xochimilco Line, which was operating PCC cars when I was there in 1960, is still operating as a form of LRT.
 #797508  by walt

GulfRail wrote:
This list does not include cities like New York, Chicago, Cleveland and Washington, D.C. that discontinued streetcar service, while simultaneously operating or building a new rail system.
Actually, Washington DC would not fit into this category. DC Transit ran its last streetcar routes on January 27, 1962, and Metrorail did not begin construction until 1969, and did not open its first section until 1974. There was no urban rail service of any kind in DC in the period between these dates.