Railroad Forums 

• Consist query on Cali Zephyr 6(30)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1567391  by STrRedWolf

Anyone know how many cars California Zephyr 6(30) is running? I got another friend and fellow furry train enthusiast taking it from Reno back home to Boston -- she's going Cali Zephyr to Chicago, Cardinal to DC, then Regional to Boston (her intended choice).

The reason I'm asking here instead of from her is I want to get a weird gift pic of her character by the time she's off the train.

My initial guess is 6 (two coach, 1 dinner, 2 sleeper, 1 baggage/dorm), but let me know.
 #1567393  by Gilbert B Norman

No promises, Mr. Wolf, but I'll TRY to get trackside to observe #6(30) for you tomorrow, April 1.

Fear not, I have no use for April Fool's stuff in this life; I'll report it as I see it.

The usual consist I observe is 2 P-42, 3 32XXX Sleepers, 380XX Diner, 330XX Lounge, 2 34XXX Coach, 310XX Coach Bagg.

Haven't seen a 390XX in either Chief or Zephyr "in an eternity".
 #1567515  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am Mr. Wolf, #6(30) expected BRL 141ML - that is no April Fools folderol.
Yeah, I've been tracking it here since Amtrak's "Track a Train" map is b0rked. Almost 3 hours late now.
 #1567551  by J.D. Lang

Hope it makes up time for your friend into Chicago. #50 departs CUS at 5:45. Maybe they'll hold it for the connection if need be.
 #1567568  by STrRedWolf

J.D. Lang wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:49 pm Hope it makes up time for your friend into Chicago. #50 departs CUS at 5:45. Maybe they'll hold it for the connection if need be.
They won't. They taken her and four others off at Galesburg, and put them on a bus to Indianapolis to pick it up at near-midnight there.

She doesn't do well with buses. Gets motion sick.

She now blames the Republicans for the delays.

Anyone able to meet the bus around 6:30p Central there for a health/wellness check, and maybe where to find food?
 #1567572  by Arborwayfan

Not in Indy, so can't meet your friend, but if she ventures out to look for food, she should cross under the tracks and go north into the center of town, where she'll find great variety of places within a few blocks. South of the tracks is an odd hodgepodge of former industrial places, a power station, Lucas Oil Field football stadium, and then the interstate. (Maybe there's a Subway's in sight from the station door, and for all I know there's some interesting little hole in the wall nearby on the south side of the tracks, but my memory of those streets doesn't include restaurants, cafes, diners...
 #1567574  by CarterB

Whistle Stop
Pub food
375 S Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46225
(317) 639-1605
Very close to station
More upscale full menu
Harry & Izzy's
153 South Illinois Street.
Indianapolis, IN 46225
Phone: 317 635-9594
Block or so North of Station
Last edited by CarterB on Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1567576  by STrRedWolf

Arborwayfan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:54 pm Not in Indy, so can't meet your friend, but if she ventures out to look for food, she should cross under the tracks and go north into the center of town, where she'll find great variety of places within a few blocks. South of the tracks is an odd hodgepodge of former industrial places, a power station, Lucas Oil Field football stadium, and then the interstate. (Maybe there's a Subway's in sight from the station door, and for all I know there's some interesting little hole in the wall nearby on the south side of the tracks, but my memory of those streets doesn't include restaurants, cafes, diners...
I'll let her know. I'm in contact with her over Telegram.
 #1567600  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, wasn't able to observe #6(30) passing, but Train Status showed it arriving CUS 459p. #50(1) departed 545p.

She would have "made it"; booey on Amtrak for wasting $$$ on a needless "busteetoot".

Nevertheless, Cafe Patachou, "A Student Union for Adults" is located on Washington St. "more or less" opposite the Capitol. It's a local chain that I go to with my friends "morning after Day at the Races" where I stay at Westin directly opposite the Capitol.
 #1567611  by STrRedWolf

I'm happy to report that she's in Indy and fine. The group of eight passengers total are being overseen by her until they get on the Cardinal. (It helps that she's a marine captain for some of Boston's ferry services)

I've relayed the cafe info to her.
 #1567637  by STrRedWolf

More good news, she made the Cardinal OK and is now enjoying West Virginia.

In hindsight, it would of made sense to bus-connect. One of the passengers on the Zephyr works for METRA and told her not to trust the 30/45 min window that ended up happening, and take the bus. Given history, I think it would of been the safest thing for Amtrak to do.