Railroad Forums 

• Conrail on the Lackawanna Cutoff...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#130339  by JJMDiMunno

Hi guys,
I'm seeking photographs of the last days of Conrail on the Lackawanna Cutoff. My interest in the cutoff just started last summer, during a trip up that way, when I got to see the abandoned ROW for the first time.

If anyone has images of Conrail trains on the cutoff, I'd love to see them. I've found this material pretty difficult to come by, even harder than some stuff from South Jersey that I've been seeking for years.

Your help is much appreciated, as always.

Take care.

Mike DiMunno

#130353  by BlockLine_4111

That guy from Cedar Grove, Karl G., IIRC has a huge arsenal of pix. J. Durant may have some too, not sure.
 #130450  by njt4172

JJMDiMunno wrote:Hi guys,
I'm seeking photographs of the last days of Conrail on the Lackawanna Cutoff. My interest in the cutoff just started last summer, during a trip up that way, when I got to see the abandoned ROW for the first time.

If anyone has images of Conrail trains on the cutoff, I'd love to see them. I've found this material pretty difficult to come by, even harder than some stuff from South Jersey that I've been seeking for years.

Your help is much appreciated, as always.

Take care.

Mike DiMunno

Mike,

I tried to ask the same question you did a few years back......The pictures are out there, unfortunately the one guy who has most of them is unwilling to sell/share......He did submit some of his photos in some old Block Line magazines from the late 70's as well as a 2 Volume hard cover Conrail book that Railpace came out with back in the late 80's.....

Also write to Railroad Avenue Enterprises - P O Box 114, Flanders, NJ 07836 - He has a full catalog of Railroad photos and books. Send for the Conrail catalog.
I know he has some photos of the EL trains on the Cutoff in the 1970's, but probably not many during the Conrail era.....Conrail abandonded the line in January of 1979 so most photos would be between the 1976-1978 time frame....There are also some photos floating around of the salvage train that took up the tracks in 1984........ :(

Hope this helps,
Steve

#130511  by njmidland

I have some photos of the Conrail scrap train pulling up the Cutoff - does that count?

#130532  by JJMDiMunno

njmidland wrote:I have some photos of the Conrail scrap train pulling up the Cutoff - does that count?
It sure does!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Mike DiMunno

#130699  by David

Mike, I will look over my archives--I think I have a few pictures I can bring up next month.