Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Fire Car & Conrail Police Training Car PD-1

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#258802  by M.R. Snell

Good morning everyone,

I'm doing some research on a couple of old Conrail cars that used to be stationed in the Elizabeth/Newark, NJ area circa late'70's- early '80's.

The first is the Conrail Fire Car. I believe this was a steam tender which was converted into a giant mobile water tank with firefighting equipment. Possible origin might have been the CNJ.

The second is the Conrail Police Training Car "The Atlantic" road number PD-1. This was originally an ex-NYC coach which was converted into some type of mobile classroom.

If anyone would have info on eiither of these, especially pictures, could you please contact me at:

[email protected]

Thanks & Have a Great Day!

-M.R. Snell

#259092  by M.R. Snell

This car was specifically for fire-fighting. It was converted by the CNJ & transferred to CR in 1976. One pic of it is in the CR Color Guide.

-M

#407337  by The Man

I think the PD-1 is in Syracuse, NY. Did it have four axle trucks? The OLS-1 in Syracuse was some kind of training car and conrail wanted to replace it and it was sent to OLS. At one point it was being sanded and I saw a "D-1" in the old paint job. So it could be "PD-1"?

JJ

#407340  by The Man

Ok.. I was looking at the post "CR 47004 police trainig car" Based on the what the PD-1 was to look like the OLS-1 in Syracuse is the PD-1. You can find photos at the CNY NRHS web site under passenger cars.

JJ

#408888  by conrail6055

The PD-1 is NOT in Syracuse, NY. I know the gentlemen who owns the PD-1 and he does not have it in Syracuse...

~Kris

Kristopher M Klemick
Conrail Enthusiast
Former Conrail Conductor
President, Conrail Historical Society, Inc
http://www.TheCRHS.org

Conrail Historical Society, Inc
222 South Main Street
Marysville, PA 17053

[email protected]

Conrail Historical Society, Inc. a 501 (c)(3) IRS recognized Non-Profit Historical Society that has been duly incorporated in PA.