Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#391745  by pennsy

Hi,

Just got back home with the LA Subway, the Red Line. No, the only crew member on board the train is the motorman. He operates the train, the doors and makes all the announcements.

Security is a separate issue. From time to time, you will see security guards, armed, get on board. These are deputized security guards. They might ask to see your valid ticket under normal conditions. Under abnormal conditions they would act as a Cop would.

#391943  by Alloy

On BART the train operators are on their own. There's no ticket sales or collecting done on the trains. I don't ride BART that much, so I don't know how often BART police ride the trains. But usually if you have a hassle on board, you've got to work your way up front to buzz the operator.

#395095  by lensovet

keep in mind that since BART train "operators" only open/close doors and make announcements (except in emergency situations), this is not that much of a problem. but yes, there's only one, at the front of the train.

#418645  by Easy

pennsy wrote:Hi,

Just got back home with the LA Subway, the Red Line. No, the only crew member on board the train is the motorman. He operates the train, the doors and makes all the announcements.

Security is a separate issue. From time to time, you will see security guards, armed, get on board. These are deputized security guards. They might ask to see your valid ticket under normal conditions. Under abnormal conditions they would act as a Cop would.
I don't think that they are armed. All they have is a radio. The deputies are armed, but they're regular law enforcement. I can't say that I know what "deputized security guards" means. The fare inspectors are private security and I don't think that they are deputized. Whenever there is a problem with an unruly passenger they will move away from the passenger and call on the radio for the LASD to meet them at the next station. They don't handcuff anyone or anything like that. I don't think that they even have handcuffs.

#418656  by 3rdrail

Easy wrote: I can't say that I know what "deputized security guards" means.
Security personnel who are deputized through the state, city, or county as "Special" Police Officers, with police powers limited to their specific jurisdiction such as the transit system and it's vehicles. I do not know if this is the status of L.A.'s security force, but other transit concerns do this.

#418659  by Easy

Well they are probably deputized as Pennsy said, but as a matter of policy they seem to avoid conflict. When I've seen them deal with unruly passengers they will ask the person to get off the train (so they can give them a ticket) but if the person refuses they don't even argue. They walk away, call the LASD on the radio, and let them handle it from there.