Railroad Forums 

• Compact video/still camera

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#940246  by CPSK

Hi;
I am a long distance runner, and often my running takes me close to mainline railroad lines (CSX and NS), and I have missed countless opportunities to photograph trains because I cannot run with my camera (it's too big and heavy).
I would love to have a really compact video camera that is also capable of taking still shots for the web. I would like the video quality to be good enough for YouTube, but most importantly, the camera needs to be flat (like maybe twice the thickness of an iPhone) and light, as I would be carrying it in my fanny pack for many miles. I also have to carry my cell phone, so the camera and the phone will both be inside the fanny pack.

Can anyone suggest a camera in the under $100 price range that would fit these specs?

Thanks

FW

Edit: Actually, I wear a separate hydration pack on my back for runs of 20 miles or further, so I have more space for the camera.
 #940423  by MEC407

I'd recommend one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Casio+-+EX- ... Id=2134037

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... amera.html

Both of them are compact, slim, take high quality stills and HD videos, aren't going to add much weight to your pack, and are under $100. Hard to go wrong with either one.
 #940518  by CPSK

Thanks!
Both of the cameras you recommended will surely suit my needs. I'm really amazed at how inexpensive 12+MP cameras have gotten.

FW
 #940565  by MEC407

Yes, it's pretty amazing how much the prices have come down.
 #941313  by CPSK

MEC407 wrote:Yes, it's pretty amazing how much the prices have come down.
I paid over $700 for my Olympus C3040 Zoom back in 2001. 3.3MP. I still own and use that camera. It takes good low-light images (f1.8), and it's great for taking shots of things I want to sell on Ebay. Not good for railfanning though, due to the shutter delay.

FW
 #941332  by MEC407

I know someone who purchased a Sony digital camera around 1998 or 1999... it was 1 megapixel and used 3.5" floppy disks. I think she paid almost $1000 for it!
 #949265  by Montrealrail

I start railfanning with that kind of camera

taking pictures and videos
for pictures?....not too bad.it's do the job,but it's slow,so you get one shot,may be two,almost never more than that..

for videos,pretty nice,but with mono sound..
just enough to get videos accepted on rail-video
http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=11361

with that camera,simple thing to remind,trying to don't use the zoom too much,that affect the quality...
you can get a brand new like that at Wal-Mart,for less than 100$ or you get get an used one at the pawn-shop for around 40$

But,now with new technology,we can fin very small camcorder,at the size of a Pepsi can for around 200$ for the cheapess brand,and it get hard disk or a SD card slot..